41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
Sorry for your loss.

·
Super Moderator
19,667 Posts
sorry for the news whiskey...but at least the suffering is over...enjoy the time you have left with your mom... may your dad rest in peace.

·
Administrator
16,248 Posts
Deepest condolences.

May happy memories live on forever both in your heart, and in your mind.

Prayers for you and your family during this difficult time.

·
Registered
19,724 Posts
Our deepest condolences my friend. He's at rest and painfree. May God grant you strength and during this time. Prayers continuing for you and the family.

·
Administrator
51,667 Posts
My condolences to You and the family, Bro.

·
Super Moderator
23,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
How ya holding up pal?
Hanging in there. We've got a reception tonight service tomorrow, then down to Albany for the burial on Saturday.

Just got back from the funeral home. It was hard seeing him in the casket, but he's at peace. Mostly focusing on taking care of Mom right now.

Thanks for checking in.

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
Hanging in there. We've got a reception tonight service tomorrow, then down to Albany for the burial on Saturday.

Just got back from the funeral home. It was hard seeing him in the casket, but he's at peace. Mostly focusing on taking care of Mom right now.

Thanks for checking in.
If there's any good side to things like this, at least you saw it coming, and had a little time to prepare your mind for it, as compared to a sudden shock with no chance for goodbyes.

Hang in there.

·
Super Moderator
8,769 Posts
Here are some over-the-internet <<Hugs>> for you, Whiskey.

We share your sorrow, and wish you all that Peace which passes all understanding.

·
Registered
19,724 Posts
Keep your focus on your mom. She's on an even bigger emotional rollercoaster than you. Doing that will also help you from being overwhelmed. Our prayers still flowing to you and your family.

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
Sorry to have missed this thread. It is always tough to say goodbye; I prefer to think of it as a "see you later." I hope your father's passing was peaceful. It looks like the family got to spend some time with him in the last week or two, which is a great thing, even though it is difficult to see a loved one's health failing. May your family find peace, solace and rest for your souls during this time of grieving.

What is your favorite memory of your father?

·
Super Moderator
23,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
The burial was today. It was nice. We had a viewing at the funeral home for two hours before, followed by a procession to the grave site.

My dad was in the Air Force and a Mason, so we had a military honor guard with a 21 gun salute followed by a ceremony done by his Masonic Lodge. I think he would have been happy with how it turned out.

One really cool story I thought I'd share. Last night my mom went into my dad's wallet and pulled out three $100 bills that he always kept for emergencies. She insisted that I take it to help pay for the hotel room, but it just didn't feel right to me.

Throughout my entire life my dad has never let me buy a meal. One time I thought he did. He let me pick up the check for lunch with him and Mom. We went back to my apartment after lunch and when they left I found that he had left cash on my dresser to cover the lunch.

After the funeral I took my oldest son along with his wife, sister, and grandmother (all from his mom's side), and my wife and twins to dinner. At the end, I was going to pay and my son's grandmother grabbed the check before I could get my hands on it. She gave the waiter a credit card and off he went.

He came back almost immediately and told her that he was sorry but he couldn't take the card because it was expired. The card's expiration date was 10/2019, just two days ago. I smiled, reached in my pocket and gave him two of those $100 bills. I looked at my oldest son, winked, and said "Your Grandad got to buy one last dinner."

I think he would be happy to know that I used his emergency cash for that.

Thanks for all of the thoughts and prayers. If nothing else it has helped internally to be able to come here and share with you guys.

·
Registered
19,724 Posts
We've all felt your sorrow,buddy. We're here for you and every other member that needs support or just to vent.
That was a great story. Your Dad was definitely smiling.
Take care.

·
Super Moderator
8,769 Posts
Cool story, Whiskey.

Continuing to hold you all in my prayers as you all try to figure out what "new normal" feels like.

<<Hugs>>

41 - 60 of 60 Posts