21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
More prayers sent.

·
Registered
19,332 Posts
I am so sorry to read about this. I understand your struggle as you know my dad is battling cancer for the third time in his life. He also has a failing heart valve and at the age of 84, may not go through with the surgery because of the risk of complications. I hope you find strength and peace.

·
Super Moderator
19,667 Posts
He's going down fast. I was at their house weekend before last and he was rough, but he got up and managed to make it from the living room to the bedroom because we were talking and he couldn't hear his show. Today I had to lift him out of the bed onto a rolling chair to get him to the bathroom. He couldn't even lift his leg to cross it over the other.

I'm starting to think I'm going to have to move in with them for a while to help my mother. We're definitely nearing the end now.

Thanks for all of the thoughts and prayers.
I'm sure being there with them would be a great comfort for your mom...how is her health?

·
Super Moderator
23,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Same here, Skrap. Cancer sucks. You've got my prayers that he comes through it well.

·
Super Moderator
23,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I'm sure being there with them would be a great comfort for your mom...how is her health?

Mom is doing as well as can be expected under the circumstances. She's at least able to put on a smile for a bit. It definitely made her feel better having us come visit.

I'm wondering how much dad is even there now. Mom told a story about some old neighbors of ours from back in the 80's, Ted and Mary. They haven't seen them in 30 years, but after mom told that story, dad kept saying "Ted can help" when he was referring to me. He would also randomly press odd buttons on the TV remote and bring up strange menus. I'm not sure if it's the pain killers or if his brain is starting to shut down, but he's definitely not completely lucid now.

It's a tough thing to go through, but all we can do is have faith and strength.

·
Registered
19,724 Posts
Amen Whiskey. We went thru it with Dad. He had a brain tumor that blocked the drain from his brain. Long story short, Dr's took it out and his thoughts , memory and speech was never the same. This combined with his colon cancer that spread, had him going down fast. Kind of glad it went fast so he didn't suffer much.
Many have been thru it before and you're not alone. These stories bring back memories and the feeling that you're going thru. Keep your faith and you'll be alright.

·
Super Moderator
23,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Yeah, sadly I went through it with my grandfather when I was 13, so I'm all too familiar with it. Sorry to hear about your dad.

·
Registered
19,724 Posts
13 is a horrible age to have to go thru it. Twice is unreal. Mine passed in 98 so I've had time to come to terms a while back. Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Super Moderator
23,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I think that's why I'm actually fairly accepting of the situation. At least I knew what to expect as soon as I got the news of the diagnosis. As cold as it may sound, it's just a life process. If there's a silver lining it's that you have time to come to terms with it slowly and prepare things. That said, I'm hoping I have a heart attack so my wife doesn't have to go through what my mom has.

·
Registered
19,332 Posts
That's why I still mountain bike. If I hit a tree at 30 mph going down a hill, a little foam hat isn't going to do anything. At least it will be quick!

·
Super Moderator
23,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I just got off of the phone with my mother and found out that my father passed away last night. Thank you to all of you for your thoughts and prayers. His struggle is over now and he can finally rest in peace.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Words cannot express my sorrow for you right now. Still praying for you and your family.

·
Registered
485 Posts
So sorry for your loss. Take comfort knowing he's at rest and peace now. No more pain.

·
Registered
19,332 Posts
Whiskey, my friend. I express to you my deepest sympathies. Your father is now at peace. I wish you the best.

·
Super Moderator
4,286 Posts
Our deepest condolences to you and your family during this difficult time....

·
Premium Member
3,627 Posts
My sympathy Whiskey. Prayers for you & your family.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts