Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I made a BooBoo machining my M50 driveshaft doing a VS1400 swap out and I see there's at least another that's been caught by the drawing in the Tutorial that's a tad misleading- SO I did a drawing in Autocad of the correct dimensions- with machining instructions. JPG attached and PDF (if it works)
Enjoy- Cheers
Dave
I have added a drawing of the shaft fitment actually inside the U joint to show the actual changes you are making in 4 stages to also show how the different machining operations affects the fitment in the U joint.
Other drawings altered to suit the new information from the fitment study. As you can see Very minimal spline length and engagement is affected.

Attachments

·
Registered
406 Posts
Good job. I dabble with auto cad too.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Good job. On behalf of those who have not modded yet, thank you very much!

·
Premium Member
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my pleasure guys.. been At Autocad since I was like 18
love to use it
Cheers

·
Registered
395 Posts
my pleasure guys.. been At Autocad since I was like 18
love to use it
Cheers
18/ I started with DOS back in 1981 or so. I still use the command line instead of the icons. I remember the old DOS screen with the menu on one side. I use version 10 and my wife uses 11. Good job on the shaft.

·
Premium Member
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TY Yeah I use the command line too.. Started with version 10 ...2004 is the version I use now... Cant afford the latest n greatest.. besides it does everything I need it to do!

·
Registered
395 Posts
This should be a sticky

·
Registered
395 Posts
Excellent work!

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
And yet another way to skin that cat.

As many already know, Aric Balster, a machinest in Sturgis SoDak was the first to modify a C50 driveshaft by repositioning the shoulder that contacts the u-joint.

I just want to point out that as the shoulder gets moved back that 3/16ths (Aric's measurement is actually .200), because of the taper on that shoulder, the diameter of the shoulder becomes less. That is the diameter of the shoulder that contacts the u-joint.

Aric feels it's necessary to maintain the original oem spec in regard to shoulder diameter so he builds that area back up to original spec and machines it on his lathe.

I understand the reduction of diameter is minimal and really don't want to start a pissing match over a few thousands of an inch.

I do want to point out however that the M50Dave process is not identical to Aric's process.

You know, in the spirit of not confusing folks. :wayhappy:

Great job btw!!

·
Premium Member
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:) I know- Aric does a wonderful job...and does it EXACTLY the way it should to be 100% correct - I agree 100%
I do think the marginal difference is negligible IMHO...
I just wanted to clarify EXACTLY what is needed to make it fit for the swap..
Cheers,

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
And you did a great job of doing that Dave, I have printed the pdf's and have them in my referance book, thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Love doing stuff like this.. Thanks for the Help on the Dims Viper!
Anytime we need a drawing here .. Just let me know..
Dave

Reactions: 472viper

·
Registered
150 Posts
After looking at Modzukis drawings, and the VL800 shaft I have in hand, I notice that the taper on the spline end has an area that is straight (not tapered) going to the shoulder drop-off. On my shaft that area is almost exactly 3/16". I concluded that machining the shoulder back is not changing the diameter of the tapered part on my shaft. I wonder if there are variances on these shafts.

·
Premium Member
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not sure- Possably difeferent supplier?.. Either way the length needs to be altered.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts