Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone discussed How frequently the rad fan cycles say on a hot day about 85 degrees F. I noticed today that mine does this quite often in city traffic. Yes it does cycle off after about 10 seconds and I figure this would be normal but I haven't found anything to validate it by searching.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
i ride in 110 degree weather and the only time mine kicks on is at a stop light

·
Registered
679 Posts
Mine came on a couple of time when I ended up in down town Milwaukee Sunday at around 75 F.
Don't ask. Closed ramp, blocked streets kind of forced me into a first class motorcycle tour of down town. Want to or not :roll:

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
iron_cowboy said:
Has anyone discussed How frequently the rad fan cycles say on a hot day about 85 degrees F. I noticed today that mine does this quite often in city traffic. Yes it does cycle off after about 10 seconds and I figure this would be normal but I haven't found anything to validate it by searching.
I would be more concerned if IT wasnt working.. after all it is suppose to come on... :) you might want to check your rad fluid if it bothers you....

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would be more concerned if IT wasnt working.. after all it is suppose to come on... you might want to check your rad fluid if it bothers you....
Ya think?...... hmmmm ., thanks

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
iron_cowboy said:
I would be more concerned if IT wasnt working.. after all it is suppose to come on... you might want to check your rad fluid if it bothers you....
Ya think?...... hmmmm ., thanks
might of been a smartazz answer on my part, but it was honest... :) removed the rad. reserve cover and check the fluid.. I had to add some there a couple of times over the years.... just make sure to mix the fluid with the right water..

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
your answer was fine. I was just wondering if this was normal. I guess I could have mentioned this is the first summer I will have on this bike. Before I bought the C50 , I had not rode a bike in about 20 yrs. and can't remember If my previous ride was liquid cooled. I am assuming with little response maybe other folks want to know too since everyone on this board should have a similar setup and would share .their experiences.
It only would bother me if it weren't normal, I just had the tank off and checked the fluid. I should have included that too. I was initially concerned because I just installed the hypercharger and haven't yet adjusted the idle to perfection. As long as it cylces I am not worried about overheating, only if it doesn't turn itself off, or doesn't turn itself on when it should. I know, I do worry too much, but I relieve some stress by typing.. :p

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
iron_cowboy said:
your answer was fine. I was just wondering if this was normal. I guess I could have mentioned this is the first summer I will have on this bike. Before I bought the C50 , I had not rode a bike in about 20 yrs. and can't remember If my previous ride was liquid cooled. I am assuming with little response maybe other folks want to know too since everyone on this board should have a similar setup and would share .their experiences.
It only would bother me if it weren't normal, I just had the tank off and checked the fluid. I should have included that too. I was initially concerned because I just installed the hypercharger and haven't yet adjusted the idle to perfection. As long as it cylces I am not worried about overheating, only if it doesn't turn itself off, or doesn't turn itself on when it should. I know, I do worry too much, but I relieve some stress by typing.. :p
Welcome to the family ! :)

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
you have the same rad cover as I do..
some did notice the fan came on more AFTER they installed a rad cover.. I never paid attention

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
Normal. If I ride at rural road speed or faster and get stuck in a traffic light corridor my fan cycles and my coolant lvl is good.

Like said .... I'de be worried if it didn't.

There is even a do-hicky on ebay to make it cycle more often. Not necessarly just for our bikes

·
Registered
369 Posts
I rode today in 85 degree weather and mine came on quite often, especially at traffic lights...that's what the fan gets paid to do though!! :)

·
Registered
292 Posts
Yep, my first year on this bike too and I find the warmer it gets the more often it runs. That just means I'm spending to much time in town. :shock:

·
Registered
284 Posts
When my fan starts cycling then it stays on for the rest of the ride. I have to check the coolant level.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
I know you don't have a carbureted bike but you wanted to hear some of our experiences, right? Last summer I was concerned that mine was coming on a lot, even in cooler weather (60 degrees) at every stop. I had rejet acording to the matrix on here with the exception of the pilot jet which I left stock. I flushed the system and changed the coolant, tested the thermostat, checked the water pump and nothing seemed to help.

This winter I installed a bigger pilot jet and turned down the idle a tad and now my fan only comes on if it's warm out and I have to sit and idle for a long time. Guess I should have done that a long time ago.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
I think my fan runs too much.
Comes on at 40 miles an hour on 65 degree days.
I've checked coolant level, added premix to the top reservoir.
Kept tire pressures good and checked wheels for free spin and drag.

Even taken the cover off temporarily...maybe some bikes run all the time and some don't.

The motor never seems to be overly hot to the touch.

I dunno maybe I need colder plugs.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It appears that each bike/engine has it's own characteristics depending on things like, mods, heat, driving habits, etc. not to mention coolant levels being optomized. With that said, I am certain that my fan is doing what is is intended to do, and all of your answers have helped in some way. I am sure that hotter plugs, intake and rad cover all contribute to higher heat loads, but the most important thing to ensure is that the rad fan IS cycling on and off at least some of the time if not more than none. I would be concerned if it came on and stayed on however, but in heavy traffic, on say a high heat and humid day, it would be taken into consideration with caution. It this were the case I would look into installing a temp. guage to monitor the heat load.

On another note I will probably cut away the stock rad cover/grille material behind the aftermarket grille to see if there is some potential for increased air flow.

·
Banned
12,353 Posts
iron_cowboy said:
On another note I will probably cut away the stock rad cover/grille material behind the aftermarket grille to see if there is some potential for increased air flow.
increased air flow = good thing. i already checked y'alls' pics and i see you don't have the problem i had, but thought i'd mention it again anyway. summer before last i put a tool bag on my front fender between the forks. should have been the first thing i thought of when fan started staying on a lot when it got really hot weather. but, instead, i changed the coolant, switched to a super-cooling brand (can't remember which offhand, but it don't matter), had it checked by the mechanic, all before one day, thanks to a post on here by someone about air flow (sorry, can't recall who without digging it up!) made me just realize that toolbag was the problem! sure enough, took it off, no prob since.

was the chrome cover on the grill when you got the bike?

·
Registered
113 Posts
aVOL2 said:
iron_cowboy said:
I would be more concerned if IT wasnt working.. after all it is suppose to come on... :) you might want to check your rad fluid if it bothers you....
I’m not sure if this applies to a Suzy, but my liquid-cooled Hondas’ fans wouldn’t come on when the coolant levels were low. The Suzy fan tends to be louder than on the Hondas.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts