Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I care take two 03 volusias . one is bone stock and the other is My raked out P.O.S. ,, anyway the stock one always smelled of antifreeze while riding it . Finally convinced the owner to let me lift the tank and check the radiator cap. . The coolant was low ( after 5 yrs duh) and the cap itself had a lot of dirt built up on it So it wouldnt seal properly. .. reused the cap .. they are 33 dollars at the dealer.. so just cleaned and refilled (about a pint). smell gone and the fan is not kicking on as much.. Now heres what I dont understand ... Even given the fact that there is a siphon action between the resevoir mounted down low on the frame and the radiator cap mounted at the highest point of frame , theres still three feet of hopefully coolant filled hose between them . I dont see how the radiator can reliably draw-in coolant after the bike cools down .. the distance and difference in height is too great , and just let that siphon hose drain one time , and it will likely suck air/ dirt instead of coolant 4ever more. .. My contention is that suzuki just put on a " catch can" for the fluid .. there arent any "hot/cool" markings on the overflow tank i can see.. So .. take the time to check your resevoir and maybe even lift the tank off the bike once in a while to look down the radiator cap . .

·
Administrator
53,914 Posts
Good Advice, Stan!

My policy here is; Whenever the fuel tank is lifted on a liquid cooled bike, We top off the radiator.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
There are high/low marks on my C50. You can see them (if you know where to look) without taking the cover off.

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Stan is right. The set up on our bikes is more catch can than actual system.
I have seen several VOL's where the radiator was low but there was still coolant in the tank.

Ride Safe,
Rex

·
Registered
166 Posts
Great info, mine was low (tank) so i added some. Still sitting in the tank so i'm not sure how it was low. No leaks. I'll keep an eye on it more now though.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
hopefully its was a mix of water and coolant, that the bike as filled with

·
Premium Member
12,258 Posts
Stan,

Did you perform a pressure test of the system and rad cap?....At one point I had a slight hose leak and it sucked my overflow bottle dry.

You should have spent the $33.00 bucks, if the cap is "filthy muddy" looking then the cap has no seal thus you no longer have a closed system. :wink:

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Duffy said:
There are high/low marks on my C50. You can see them (if you know where to look) without taking the cover off.
Same here: use the same method to check oil. (mirror and flashlight) I've even took a magic marker and "enhanced" the marks for better visibility.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts