Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm about to purchase (well at least I hope to if it works out) a 2005 M50 with around 6000 miles on it. 10000 KM. The price is too good to pass up. At least I think so. Problem is of course is that I'll need to toss a MPH speedometer on it. Is it as simple as finding one with similar miles and tossing it on? Is there anything special I need to know about doing the swap or even any legal issues? I'm law enforcement so I should probably do it right. This is the second owner of the bike and he's also unsure of the original owners maintenance. What should I be looking for? I should say that I owned a 2005 m50 I bought brand new and sold in 2008 because I needed to move. I loved the bike and never had any issues with it. I did take mine it for it's first service so I'm aware of that part. Any help and opinions would be helpful. It comes with floorboards and a memphis shades windshield. I might be willing to trade for some normal pegs if anyone is interested in that. Maybe even sell the windshield. I'll see.

·
Super Moderator
24,398 Posts
Welcome from Kennesaw GA!

Odd, someone else asked the same thing recently. The easiest thing I can think of is to just change out the paper background with the numbers on it. Someone on here was printing them with cool pics in the past. I think they're still doing it as a side gig. You odometer would still be in km, of course.

Good chance someone with better ideas than me will come along shortly. Have in there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And I did notice some of the 2007 or maybe all of them.....the gauges have a fuel level indicator. Would I be able to pick up one of those or would they have to be a 2005 or 2006.

·
Registered
19,430 Posts
1: If you replace the speedometer with one from another bike, your odometer will be incorrect. You will be required to file an odometer discrepancy with your state DMV to record that whatever the new indicated miles are.
2: Canadian vehicles record distance traveled in KM, not miles.
3: 2005 and 2006 model C and M50 motorcycles do not have a fuel gauge on the bike. Simply putting a speedometer cluster from another bike will not give you a fuel level either. The fuel tank lacks the sender and wiring harness needed to add that feature.
4: There are plenty of bikes available without need for the conversion or paperwork.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm aware of the KM vs Mph debate. I just don't a bike that reads in KPH vs MPH. Annoying. Thanks for the info for filing for the state. I do realize the 2005 does not have the sender for the fuel level. I guess when I was asking that question I was more curious to see if the speedometer and every other function would work if I plugged it in. It opens the possibilities up. I'm going to attempt to get one with very similar miles. The reason I'm going through this head ache is because this bike is less than an hour away from me and it's a 2005 with only 6000 miles on it for 2100 bucks. Good luck finding that elsewhere. I'm sure there's one out there but not close to me.

·
Registered
19,430 Posts
A 15 year old bike, with low miles on it is generally a warning sign to most buyers. It tells you the bike hasn't been ridden much, if at all for long periods of time. Unless the owner has taken particular care to prepare the bike for long term storage, there are a laundry list of items that can potentially be bad. At the very least, you will need to replace the 15 year old tires. As well as the 15 year old rubber brake line and the 15 year old fuel line. The tank may have evaporated fuel residue left in it, damaging the fuel pump, screen and injectors. The oil has probably only been changed once in that 15 years, so there is a likelihood of corrosion inside the engine. Just trying to caution you to the potential hazards the "good deal" may bring....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nope I get it. I'll be checking all of that out. If it doesn't run well I'm not going to buy it. I already told the guy that. I planned on doing tires, dropping all fluids, brake lines, etc. I asked him for some videos of it running and any past service history he's done or knows of prior to him owning it. Since you are chiming in and seem fairly knowledge able, where is the best/cheapest place for a new brake line fuel hose etc? I should have some that will work that I used on my 1980 GS 750. Guess the fuel hose is the same size. Since I haven't owned this bike since 2008, what are people running for rear gear oil, oil in general, oil filters, coolant etc? Brake line kit from Galfer ok? If everything checks out I plan on doing exhaust and trying to find the things I had on my old bike.

·
Registered
19,430 Posts
Galfer is the way to go on the brake line. As for the fuel line, I believe it is 3/8" diameter fuel hose with a chrysler fuel injector connection. I bought the parts I needed at Autozone.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
shit I didn't even think about the connection. I didn't have to mess with that before and I'm used to old crap like my 1980.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm looking at the throttle body diagram and there's tons of hoses on there. What pieces am I lookin at replacing then?

Sorry just trying to get my ducks in a row. Riding season is quickly approaching.

I had metselen tires on my last M50 and was very happy with those. Are this pretty much the ones to go with? I can't remember if I had the 200 or a 180 on the back. Recommendations with regards to that..? I should start another thread. Any other comments on the speedometer swap are still appreciated.

·
Registered
19,430 Posts
Some of those are bent metal pipes, others are flexible rubber hoses. Expect to have to replace anything rubber, due to age.

Metzler makes a great tire. I have run several sets on my motorcycles over the years. Another good option is the Michelin Commander II.

As for size, stick with the OEM. A 200 series will fit, barely - but the narrow rim profile compresses the tire's cross section making it taller rather than wider. On the wheel it is less than 1/2 wider than stock, so it doesn't achieve that "fat" look.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I wish I could remember what size I had on the rear of my last M50. I was really pleased with it looks wise and how wide it was. I know it made the ride completely better. I guess the tires have been replaced so hopefully I can limp by this year. I'm sure the fuel hose hasn't been replaced though. Is it just as easy and lifting the tank up and checking it out? I'm guessing so. I've never had to mechanically mess with this bike yet other than exhaust. This was my old one I had. If I get this new one and anyone has a clue where I can find that luggage rack for not 279 bucks I'm all ears. Same thing with the smaller engine oe suzuki engine guards.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts