Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Either of these two people can modify C90/VL1500 and VS1400 final drives to fit C50 or VL800 bikes.

Dan Hillis phone 419-656-5347

or

Aric Balster email [email protected]

Contact them and discuss options.

btw. can I get a sticky?

·
Registered
523 Posts
thanks for posting this. its good to know there are other people that know how to modify these.

edit: i just tried to the email for Aric Balster and it came back to me saying undeliverable?

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, it would help if I had spelled it correctly, my bad. I corrected it above in the original post.

·
Registered
76 Posts
For the record, the difference between the 2 gentlemen is this: Aric will only machine a stock C50 drive shaft, so if you want to keep the old C50 drive intact, as I wish to do, you will have to find another drive shaft. Dan modifies the donor shaft by either lengthening or shortening the 1400/1500 drive shaft. Aric is very prompt with responses, I must say that.

·
Registered
240 Posts
For the record, the difference between the 2 gentlemen is this: Aric will only machine a stock C50 drive shaft, so if you want to keep the old C50 drive intact, as I wish to do, you will have to find another drive shaft. Dan modifies the donor shaft by either lengthening or shortening the 1400/1500 drive shaft. Aric is very prompt with responses, I must say that.
Would there be a preferred method? Pro's or Con's for one vs the other? Aric's or Dan's?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I was in touch with both gentlemen. I went with Dan because I wanted my C50 drive intact if I ever choose to sell the bike and C90 drive separate. Plus, Dan is only 2 hours from me. I haven't read any problems with either drive, so it is 2 different paths to get to point B. The only "con" I can think of is that it is MUCH easier to get in touch with Aric, than it is with Dan. The total cost of Aric's conversion is cheaper, if you have a C50 drive shaft.

·
Registered
523 Posts
. The only "con" I can think of is that it is MUCH easier to get in touch with Aric, than it is with Dan.
i will agree with this. Dan must be very busy. i originally contacted him about 3 weeks ago. after i found out i didnt need to necessarily have the final drive housing modified, i called a couple days later to ask for a price to modify just the drive and the spacer. i didn't hear from him so i called and left another voicemail. i still have not heard back from him.

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
From what I hear, Dan has alot of irons in the fire, so one does have to be patient.

As has been said,

1) Dan modifies C90/VL1500 and VS1400 driveshafts. This leaves your oem drive intact, ready for reuse.

2) Aric modifies C50/VL800 driveshafts to be used in the above mentioned drives.

3) Both guys can modify the drive case to accept the fake swingarm.

4) The fake swingarm can be modified to fit on the above drives. The advantage of this is it saves on shipping costs, it's alot cheaper to ship a driveshaft for modification than it is the entire drive unit.

Any "preferred" method is simply personal preference. They both do great work and I've had both driveshafts.

If I had a C90/VL1500/VS1400 driveshaft, I'd send it to Dan and mod my own swingarm and not have the drivecase machined.

If I had a C50 driveshaft and a 90/1500/1400 drive without a driveshaft, I'd send it off to Aric and have the C50 shaft modded by him.

Both guys can provide you the proper spacer or spacer/bushing according to which drive you have.

·
Registered
76 Posts
When I was at Dan's house, he has a full shop in his garage, where he does the drive work. His day job is in the next town over. I dropped the drive off on a Saturday. My visit was short due to his being needed to provide mechanic service to someone. Yep, the guy is busy.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I guess if you want to reuse the swing arm on the new drive, you can either grind some material off the inside of the swing arm, or remove some metal from the case, which Dan is going to do for me. It is not cheap, going that route, but I am lazy. The shape of the case on the 1400/1500 drive is different, so the swing arm won't just bolt back on, if you wish to use it. Other members have stated that the swing arm provides NO structural rigidity, it is just for styling.

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
^^^Truth^^^

"Fake swingarm" is a term that is used for the piece on the left side that bolts to the final drive after it has been installed on "real" swingarm. It's only purpose is to give the look of assymetry to the swingarm, making the left side look like the right side. It serves no structual purpose.

·
Premium Member
2,398 Posts
eBay...

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
So what ever one is say if I had a c90 final drive I can install it with no mod at all (if I didn't want the fake swing arm). And just send in a C50 drive shaft to have it moded...Yes.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts