Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 199 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone pack a hand gun while riding? I am about to take a cross country bike/camping trip alone and not sure I want to travel unarmed. Tips? ideas? Cautions? (Preferably from experience)

Thanks-

·
Registered
18,342 Posts
hmmm.... be licensed to carry a concealed weapon would be MY suggestion just in case you have to need to USE it...then YOUR azz ain't in a sling... don't those laws vary from state to state?

·
Registered
851 Posts
A lot depends on the size of the firearm you're wanting to carry as to how would be best.

Now here's the kicker. Some of the other states may not (and probably won't) honor your state's firearms permit. I believe the NRA web site may be able to help you there even if you're not a member.

But now my "personal thought". You do something stupid and get caught with the gun and not a valid permit for where you're at you get cited or get to post bond.

OR

You just get unlucky and have to justifiably use it, have a permit from your home state (and not recognized here) and Johnny Perpetrator gets hurt or killed. My thought is "Oh well."

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wehrd1 said:
hmmm.... be licensed to carry a concealed weapon would be MY suggestion just in case you have to need to USE it...then YOUR azz ain't in a sling... don't those laws vary from state to state?
Yea submitted for the concealed weapons lic and from what I've read most states are reciprical. Just trying to find other real life experiences with this type of activity.

·
Registered
18,342 Posts
I've read a few threads where they slap the holster right on the handle bars or triple tree or tank bib.

seems most will stay away from a bike packing a holster, whether they actually SEE a gun or not :shock:

·
Registered
7,112 Posts
As ppasel replied, some states recognize another states conceal carry permit, others don't. Also, Some state may have restrictions on bringing handguns across state lines. The NRA can help you with these questions.
There are other factors too. I just read an article in an NRA publication about a woman who had a CCP and kept a 5 shot .38 snub nose in her purse. She crossed the state line and , somehow, the local police found out she was carrying. She was fined $5000. Not for carring a gun, they accepted her permit, but for having it loaded with hollow point bullets.
It seems that in that state it was legal to have a gun but illegal to carry it loaded with hollow points....to the tune of $1000 per offense.
Each bullet was an offense!

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Try here for which state accepts which permit.
http://www.usacarry.com/
The way I look at it better tried by 12 than carried by six. If I'm still alive I can always hire an attorney. That being said there are places like Mass where an unlicensed handgun will get you at least a year in jail no way around it.

Ride Safe,
Rex

·
Administrator
29,689 Posts
It's hard to shoot someone off a motorcycle moving at 80 MPH. I would let prudence and the throttle be my self-defense tool. I've ridden and ridden and ridden, yet have yet to be in a position where a gun was necessary. I'm a staunch supporter of the 2nd amendment and own all kinds of guns. I just don't believe carrying one is a necessity and in many places can get you put in jail.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
I never used to, but with the way folks are these days, I believe in carrying some form of protection. I have a concealed carry permit, and although it's purely a personal preference, I don't like to ride unarmed anymore. My philosophy is not to show it though, unless you are absolutely certain you HAVE to use it.
Hope you have a GREAT trip! :D :D

·
Registered
7,102 Posts
whether a state will honor another states permit is ALWAYS up in the air. For example: WA state is only honored by FIVE other states! :shock:

I always carry.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks-

Thanks for the advice. If I carry I would carry hidden as to not provoke. Only reason is riding and the camping alone issue. Usually I'm with riding buddies but alone I just thought it would be safer.

Maybe I'll think about it for some time.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
How you carry it is important. When you are moving, an unloaded pistol in a locked container is legal almost anywhere except Washington DC. Don't bring a gun in there, those people can sniff it out in a heartbeat.

The "Terry" law as I understand it prevents the police from going through your stuff without a reasonable suspicion, but if the trouble is such that they are impounding your bike you better tell them there's a gun in there. This is a good time to be sure that it is unloaded in a locked container.

I believe most states allow you to protect yourself in a campsite, so you can keep it with you overnight loaded and ready. Just unload it and pack it away when you hit the road.

Concealed carry permits refer to your ability to carry on your person a loaded, hidden gun.

It's a touchy issue, and too often subject to the whims and personal interpretations of local law enforcement. As in all dealing with government, your freedom is very inconvenient to them.

On another level, if we don't carry our firearms around, the second amendment becomes useless and void. I might be able to have a gun in my home, but often I'm not in my home.

·
Banned
3,012 Posts
The risk with most guns is firstly that on on average you only have a 50/50 chance of being fastest on the draw, and secondly if any police or security arrive you tend to get shot at unless you drop the gun real fast.

·
Banned
3,012 Posts
Sidewalk said:
On another level, if we don't carry our firearms around, the second amendment becomes useless and void. I might be able to have a gun in my home, but often I'm not in my home.
The second amendment adresses militias, and protects the right to carry weapons for that purpose, not concealed carry of pocket peashooters.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Around here, especially in the southern part of AZ, and I suppose this could also happen in CA, NM, and TX, you may get "foot traffic" through your campsite at night. Yes, I'm talking about "unauthorized non-indigenous personnel". I know guys that have been camping during a hunting trip running into these folks. Usually, they are just passing by, but you never know what their state of mind may be, plus if they are with a coyote who may not want to be identified, you never know. Reason enough to carry while camping.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the point of contention here seems to be the concealed carry. I thought in most states you can openly carry a sidearm? I know you can in AZ. I see it all the time.

·
Premium Member
28,197 Posts
CycleBiker said:
The risk with most guns is firstly that on on average you only have a 50/50 chance of being fastest on the draw, and secondly if any police or security arrive you tend to get shot at unless you drop the gun real fast.
and if you don't have one your chances of winning go from 50/50 to 0%.

and secondly if any police or security arrive you tend to get shot at unless you drop the gun real fast
BS. If law enforcement show up and you are still firing or pointing the firearm at them, you risk getting shot. If you have any common sense, follow commands, and be be smart, no police or security will "tend to shoot you"

Do I carry? Yes. I have a CCW, and carry every minute I'm out. Few other state honor a California permit, so I have to lock up my gun when out of state, but I always have it with me.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Used to carry my Ruger SP 101 .357, but it was a heavy peace for concealment. I now carry a Smitty .38 alloy which is about half the weight. Have a few other “surprises” (one of which is my 12- gauge) at the homestead for anyone that would try to harm the family.

I’ve seen a lot of “Justice Files”, “Cold Case File” shows, etc., and I always think that probably not one of those people ever woke up expecting to be a victim of crime.

I’ve always seen guns as a “necessary evil”, but considering many criminals carry weapons, I always keep “last resort” within easy reach. Been carrying for over twenty years and by God’s grace have only fired at the range.

1 - 20 of 199 Posts