Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my friends and I have been talking about chipping in for a helmet to helmet communication system. I know very little about them, except they appear fairly pricey. And those that aren't, I seriously question their ability to provide for the needs of our small group. We would need a system that accommodates these issues:

• ability to adapt to different helmet styles for each rider (I wear a big FF modular, one wears a 3/4, a third wears a 1/2,

• ability to accommodate at least three riders,

• ability to communicate a fair distance- at least 1/4 mile
I'm not very tech smart and I see the term "blue tooth" thrown around a lot, but I don't know if these units are a self contained system (like walkie-talkies) that do not require a phone tap-in, or do they somehow tap into a cell phone to work? Ability to answer telephone calls while I'm on the road is NOT what I want. I simply want to be able to have the caboose rider be able to let the leader know an important piece of info (like... "Hey, that was our turn, or I need a break soon") as easily as possible.

Any thoughts out there?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
61,557 Posts
All technicians are currently assisting other members. Please enjoy the music as your question will be answered in the order it has been received.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Lou,

We use the Cardo brand Scala G4. Yes, pricey but as you stated, you get what you pay for. They can be purchased various sites used or new. Yes, they do have phone modes, but you don't have to BT it to the phone while riding it you choose not to. They have two methods to attach. One is a glue pad or we prefer to use the included clamp method so we can remove it and put on other helmets we own. FF works well, Modular works well, 3/4 is semi ok due to wind noise and the 1/2 helmet use is not recommended. Unless you have a neck curtain type of 1/2 helmet, there is no place to Velcro the speakers and the boom mike may not be long enough to be close to the mouth. The system is voice activated. I know when my wife's mic is not in the proper position. I know she's talking but cant quite pick up what? Anyway, those are characteristics that you learn with electronic accessory.

We love the system and won't mount up without them on. We can travel all day with a single charge. Stand by charge is 10-12 hrs.

As you point out, there are many types of systems. I evolved from cheap to pricey and spent money unnecessarily. Chatterbox has economy and pricey versions. The new ones from Sena would be the next system of choice for us if and when the Scala is not functional anymore for us. I like their knob control better than the Scala push button features.

·
Super Moderator
28,292 Posts
I'll give you another vote for the Cardo ScalaRider systems. I've got the G9, but the G4 is essentially the same with a few extra features cut out. They're great, but the problem is that you have to mount them on a helmet. I'm still looking for a good system for our riding club that could be randomly given to whoever happens to be at a ride so the lead and tail gunner can communicate. Unfortunately I don't think the ScalaRider system quite fits that bill, as they tend to work more as personal equipment, not community property. If you've got specific people who will be using the communication system, I can't recommend them enough.

As for Bluetooth, it's a connection protocol. Yes, it's commonly used with cell phones, and you can connect your cell phone to the ScalaRider, but each ScalaRider will connect to other ScalaRider devices with Bluetooth. With the G4 you can get 4 headsets connected together, with the G9 you can get... You guessed it... 9 headsets connected together. You can mix and match, meaning that the G9 can still connect to the G4. Unfortunately the systems aren't open to each other, so you can't get a Cardo headset to connect to one from another manufacturer.

As for range, it depends on the terrain, but you should get at least 1\4 mile, and could get as much as 2+ miles in, say Arizona.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great insight guys! I really appreciate it!

I also see UClear & Nolan systems advertised on ebay. Anyone out there with any history with them?

·
Super Moderator
22,500 Posts
picked up a scala from a member here...wife and I won't leave home w/o it...worth the investment if you want the ability to talk while riding instead of waiting till the next pit stop...don't use the bluetooth feature myself...ride to get away from the bs...not take it with me. Good luck...watch ebay.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Me and my wife use Sena headsets for communication. They have different models for full face and half helmets so everyone in your group could get the one for their type of helmet. You can intercom up to 4 of them together. They work great! If you want, you can bluetooth to your phone, which I do to listen to music while riding. You don't have to though, but you can. We have half helmets and use the SPH10H-FM, which even has a built in FM tuner. The model for full and 3/4 helmets is the SMH10.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
after using my sena smh10, i will never buy another scala product again. the sena is so much easier to use and the sound is 10 times better.

there is supposed to be a new firmware release that allows the sena to be pair with non-sena headsets.

Reactions: RellaLou

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
I have the Sena S/10 model as well. I haven't tried using it to pair with other units, but it works well for my music and an occasional phone call. My main mount is unused...I bought a mount for a half helmet with a plug for earbuds. I just run the wires inside the helmet liner and pop the earbuds in after I throw my helmet on. The also have 1/2 helmet units with speakers that mount to the Y straps. It does have a big knob, but it's easy to use, and the controller clicks in & out of the mount easily if you want to remove it while leaving your helmet on the bike.

·
Super Moderator
9,130 Posts
RellaLou, I believe the Nolan NComm system is proprietary. I think everybody in your group would have to be wearing Nolan helmets for it to work. (Folks, please correct me if I am wrong.)

BearBait and I are happy Scala customers. However, we mostly use them bike-to-bike, not bike-to-group. Friends of ours going on long trips who wanted to group up Scala headsets have had difficulty making all the headsets work together. That may be something Scala has improved upon in recent years. The headsets' firmware can be upgraded, which is a nice feature.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
RellaLou, I believe the Nolan NComm system is proprietary. I think everybody in your group would have to be wearing Nolan helmets for it to work. (Folks, please correct me if I am wrong.)

BearBait and I are happy Scala customers. However, we mostly use them bike-to-bike, not bike-to-group. Friends of ours going on long trips who wanted to group up Scala headsets have had difficulty making all the headsets work together. That may be something Scala has improved upon in recent years. The headsets' firmware can be upgraded, which is a nice feature.

Thanks for the info on Nolan. It's little things like that which I benefit from VR member knowledge! It appears that Scala and Sena have a big positive following. I'll have to keep an eye on them both for "sales"! :wayhappy:

·
Super Moderator
9,130 Posts
I do hear an awful, awful lot of praise of Sena systems in the various bike forums to which I belong. If I were shopping now, I'd look at Sena as well as Scala and make a choice. We invested in Scala before Sena was on the market, and for what we want them for, the Scalas are head-and-shoulders better than what we used to use (which was tricked-out CB radio).

P.S. Woodwelder -- No, you are not. But when I'm riding with Mike, it's nice to be able to say, "Hey, did you notice this?" or "Watch out for that."

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I do hear an awful, awful lot of praise of Sena systems in the various bike forums to which I belong. If I were shopping now, I'd look at Sena as well as Scala and make a choice. We invested in Scala before Sena was on the market, and for what we want them for, the Scalas are head-and-shoulders better than what we used to use (which was tricked-out CB radio).

P.S. Woodwelder -- No, you are not. But when I'm riding with Mike, it's nice to be able to say, "Hey, did you notice this?" or "Watch out for that."

Thanks for that. Actually, in the hour since my last post on this I ordered a Sena smh10 2 pack set. It seems to fit the bill for my needs the most. And to add, I am of the same mindset: don't want to be chattering the whole trip, but for me to ride ahead to try to flag down the leader for a bathroom break is a bit unsafe at times... Although as a leader, I've become very adept at the Left handed grand "flourish" indicating... "Isn't this a beautiful view?" LOL :wayhappy:

·
Registered
99,999 Posts
All technicians are currently assisting other members. Please enjoy the music as your question will be answered in the order it has been received.
:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh: AND :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

·
Registered
99,999 Posts
Am I the only one that wishes for peace and quite when I ride? :eek:utcold:

:twisted: :biglaugh:

I don't listen to music or conversations while I ride my bike (conversations was before I got my Victory solo bike).

I enjoy the sound of my loud mufflers. The sound also tells me when it's time to shift and I can pay full attention to traffic around me which I think is a very important thing.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Obviously you have already made your purchase, but I will throw in another thumbs up for Sena. I have their SMH10R (more compact version of the SMH10) and it is top notch. The SMH10 and 10R would not work in a half helmet, but as long as your half helmet wearing friend buys the model he needs all of the Sena stuff connects to each other so no issues there.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts