Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks
I have had my bike for about 1 month now and I have put about 350 miles on her since I took her home
I could not ride much for the first two weeks due to the weather but for the last two weekends and nights I have been riding all over.
Next month I am taking the MSF coarse to get my liceince right now I am riding on a permit .................

Last few times out I have feel really good on the bike less nervous more at home I am more comfertible about driving the bike at speed but I still get a little nervous around turns and tend to slow down
before them

When I got the bike i could not do a figure 8 and had to take WIDE turns
I have been able to mast both at this point and now am starting to be able to lean the bike down a bit in turns to take them tighter.

I dont feel like i am pushing anything or myself but am i taking all this on too fast ??

At this rate the bike will have to have its 600 mile service before i even take the riding coarse

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
Nothing like on-the-job training. Just remember one thing and you'll be fine.

RESPECT that bike! Take it slow and easy. The course will help tons. I took it. Great course.

Welcome and ride baby, ride!

·
Premium Member
6,843 Posts
Hi! A few thoughts:

a) It is perfectly normal to slow down before curves so you can safely and comfortably take them, and slightly accelerate IN them. That's motorcycle riding 101 - taught in MSF courses

b) As you correctly noticed, anyone can take the heaviest bike and ride it on a straight at 100 mph, but really good riders know how to handle their bikes at walking speed. Slow maneuvering has to be practiced and is also taught in MSF courses

c) Everything else you say (hesitating to lean) are normal body reactions that you will overcome with time - I was the same way not too long ago, now I lean close to my highway pegs whenever I can - that's where the fun is!!

d) TAKE that MSF Safety course - what you learn there (safety and handling techniques) is amazing and will give you both a better feeling about your bike, and also a dose of respect for it. Money well spent!

Cheers,
Moe

·
Registered
359 Posts
Actually, you are now entering the most dangerous time for a new rider. Most everyone is cautious when learning to ride, but when a new rider acquires the skills and gets comfortable on the bike, that is when he is most at risk.

Your new found confidence can get you into trouble real quick. But don't sweat it too much. Just do as ssi6 cautioned. Respect the bike. And enjoy the ride.

-rr

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
^^^^^^
ya.

Stay in your comfort zone of skill untill you feel confident and then only a little at a time step it up. to the next level.

One BIG piece of advise. Don't come to a quick stop (even at 3mph) w/ the bars turned sharp. GOOD chance the bike will want to fall.

I refuse to answer why I know! :oops:

·
Registered
160 Posts
The MSF course is going to help you a lot.

Pick up the Ride Like A Pro IV video as well (http://www.ridelikeapro.com). It focuses on control and slow-speed handling.

Take your time.

Don't rush out into traffic until you've gotten the basics.

If you ride with buddies, don't worry about keeping up with them - ride YOUR ride, not theirs.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
18,342 Posts
Dont EVER get too comfortable on a bike. THATS when sh!t happens, and happens REAL quick :wink:

ride w/in your safety zone. i remember that butterflies in the tummy feeling the very first time i left the grassy soccer field while learning and actually rode on pavement at 55mph. was kinda like holding hands for the first time. :lol:

·
Registered
218 Posts
+1 on taking the riding course. I also strongly recommend the Ride Like A Pro video. Grow your skills and don't become over confident. Congratulations on joining the world of motorcycles!!

·
Registered
740 Posts
i was in your spot almost 2 years ago. i had never rode a motorcycle before, and spent nearly a week practicing in a parking lot for hours on end each day before i took it to the streets. i then took it on back roads for slow speed road conditions before i felt comfortable enought to do full riding. i got about three months into it, and was super comfortable riding (without msf course under my belt) and was in some back roads, decided to start pushing the limits, then i found it. laid the bike down at 35 mph, scraping the hell out of the left side. i was able to ride it home, there was no mechanical damage, but still took it to my stealership to get a safety check on it.

i got super lucky, no injuries other than a few bumps bruises and sore muscles, and only about $1000 in cosmetic damages. i count my lucky stars almost everyday, and am super careful now. still havent done the msf course, but that is on the list for this year.

stay safe and sane. respect 600 lbs of metal and plastic, and you will enjoy your bike for a long time!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well took the bike to work today It was a good ride !
I stuck to back roads that have little traffic on them also the top speed limit this way is only 40 mph.

BTW
If I feel A need to go 100 mph in a str8 line see the web link below.........
The Red one has a lilttel bit of an attitude problem..........:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts