Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what experiences people have had with the small rattle can they sell. How much did it cover? How good was the match?

·
Registered
562 Posts
It will cover 7.5 sq ft with a normal size can. You need to clear whatever your doing to get it to match.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I did my hard bags in the pearl white to match the 06 c60c, three coat process, base+color+clear. The match was perfect. I bought 3 cans of each color, did several coats of each and had paint left over.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's great news guys thanks....I think I might go this route until I can afford to paint to whole bike :evil:

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
The key to a nice finish is 3M ScotchBrite pads. Smooth surface after base coat and color coat. Also apply several thin coats of each rather than trying for one coat coverage. Clear coat will be rough, again with the Scotchbrites.

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
but what grade of scotchbrite?

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I found about 3 grits in my auto store. You can use very fine wet sandpaper if you can't find scotchbrites. Be sure each coat is dry to the touch, then use course to fine until you get a smooth surface. Don't fear, if you screw up at first while finding the right touch you can put on more paint. Just be sure each color coat is right before you proceed to the next. After the last clearcoat use a fine polishing compound and a damp rag to buff to a perfect shine.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
mtmous said:
Just be sure each color coat is right before you proceed to the next.
I meant to say, be sure the base color is right before going to the color coat, etc. I did about 3 coats of base, sanded smooth, 3 coats of color, sanded smooth, 3 coats of clear, sanded smooth and polished.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Also, if you are painting plastic or fiberglass let the piece aclimate to the temp and humidity before you start. Mine were cold and started to sweat after I started, had to remove it all and start over.

·
Registered
849 Posts
bookmarked! thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts