Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got to work this morning & a gent in the parking lot told me the temp in his truck read 34 degrees ==> @ 60 mph on the motorcycle, it felt like 14 degrees (yes, fingers & toes were still numb after 1/2 hr in the office) ==> strong possibility I'll be hanging up the motorcycle keys (at least for the daily commute to & from work) for a couple of months.

My fingers would prob have been OK if I could find the silk glove liners I KNOW I have, but are buried somewhere. I was in the office an hour before my toes thawed out.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Heated gear, that's what I did. I won't ride for the next two days (low of 14 and a high in the 20's!!) but anything down to 28 or so I'm good.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I have the caps on my crash bars so feet are fine. You can alternate sitting on your hands, or if you are using leather gloves grab a handful of jug. Also take a hand towel and get it wet put in ziplock bag and put in microwave for a minuet of two. Then put inside jacket. Keep your core warm and your hands and feet will stay warmer.

·
Registered
120 Posts
My dad lives in Phoenix because AZ is warm. I'm on my way to see him in a couple of days & was hoping to get my brother in law to loan me one of his 4 bikes while I'm there. I know elevation is everything. I've gone from 75 in Phoenix to 30 in Flagstaff in a couple hours drive. On the other side my sister doesn't ride much during the winter months either. I'd rather be in the mountains but my wife wants a warm vacation.

·
Super Moderator
28,293 Posts
+1 on the heated gear! Couldn't survive the winter without it. I suggest starting off with gloves, as you noted, your hands are the hardest thing to keep warm.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
20,055 Posts
I beg to disagree. Cold weather riding is fun!!! Doing so ill-prepared is not.

Get the right gear and you won't ever publish another thread like this again. Ever...

A heated jacket liner, heated gloves and good socks are enough to turn sub-freezing temps into a pleasant ride. Just gear up and you'll learn to have fun too.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I beg to disagree. Cold weather riding is fun!!! Doing so ill-prepared is not.

Get the right gear and you won't ever publish another thread like this again. Ever...

A heated jacket liner, heated gloves and good socks are enough to turn sub-freezing temps into a pleasant ride. Just gear up and you'll learn to have fun too.
I would agree that having the right gear is the key to turning the experience from miserable to pleasurable. But heated gear isn't exactly free. And considering I live in southern AZ.... I figure I could use heated gear for all of about 6-8 weeks in Jan/Feb. And the trip home in the afternoon isn't the problem - only the morning. ==> I'd need it for 2.5 hours of commute/ week, 6-8 weeks out of the year,..... I'm just not sure I want to bear the expense for something I'd likely use so little of the time.

Still.... I see your point. Another member here lives in Red Rock (about twice as far north of Tucson as I am south of it.) He has just a couple of pieces of heated gear & rides in the cold routinely. But I think even he takes the car when the temps get into the low 30's.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I live in Mobile, AL, and it doesn't normally get really cold here either. But, when you factor in that the bike gets 50mpg and my truck gets 15, that heated gear pays for itself within two years, even only needing it for about the same amount of time you're talking about. The gloves alone make a HUGE difference. As long as I can keep my hands and feet warm, I'm fine.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Stopped to get gas one night at a convenience store, some smart a looks at me stated " It's a good night to ride. " It was in the 30's with a light misty drizzle off and on. I replied to him "Every night is a good night to ride, some are just a little better than others. " Only problem I have riding in the cold is keeping my fingers warm. And since we moved with in 8 miles of work by the time I get cold I'm there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts