Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

Just joined from Vancouver,BC- bought a 2008 Boulevard C50 last week- and purchased some Cobra Engine guards on line yesterday. I am not at all mechanically inclined, but do want to attempt putting these on myself, as by all accounts on this forum, is a pretty perfunctory job.
had a look at the bike last night- I can see where the bars will attach at the top (sides) but cannot see any bolts at the bottom where guards might attach to. Will I have to remove the floorboards to attach ? havent seen anything to that effect in previous posts on the topic.
I saw two small bolts on the cross pipe between the main frame posts ( just under the Rad) but doubt that's where it attaches.

Also re the side mounting- the right side has just a plastic stopper so will use the bolt that comes with the kit to attach that- but there is an actual bolt on the left side- why would you use the hardware that come with the kit and not the existing bolt ? told you I'm clueless !!
Anyway any advice will be appreciated.
cheers

·
Super Moderator
25,179 Posts
The bolts at the bottom go from the inside out if I remember correctly, though it has been a while since I put mine on. The easiest way to find them is to just put the bars up to the bike with the top in place and look where the bottom ends up. The easiest way is to bolt the bottom loosely in place and then swing up the top. Don't tighten anything more than finger right until you've got all bolts in place, then tighten them all a bit at a time moving between the four bolts.

As for why you should use the hardware that came with them, I'd guess the bolts that came with the bars are slightly longer to compensate for the thickness of the bars. I really don't know, as I bought mine used from another member here.

That leads me to the last point, have some patience and watch the forums here and you can get great deals on stuff. We have members with full baggers decide to bob their ride all the time and they usually dump the accessories here for a very fair price.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks reply Whiskey-will keep watching the forum-am looking for some driving lights and don't want to drop $300 right now ( or ever !! ) might revert to the Walmart light option.

·
Super Moderator
20,463 Posts
like stated above... don't tighten until you have all the bolts in... you may need the ability to manuever the bar around to line up all the holes... can be a very frustrating install or a piece of cake...good luck...remember my first cobra bar never had any issues...had a small mishap...went down on ice and had to replace the bars...bars did do what they were purchased for...saving injury and no damage to bike other than bars... and the new replacement was always a pain but eventually would cooperate. Not a difficult install just may require some patience.

·
Registered
452 Posts
SAFFER,
Don't forget to use some blue thread lock.

Keep us posted

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
With the Cobra bars when changing the oil filter it will not come out from the bottom but up and out on the key side is the way to go no need to loosen the bolts on the bars.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Bottom bolts are on the inside. You will need to purchase bolts. No need to remove floor boards. Has nothing to do with them. You will need to remove the bottom bolts as stated above and swing the bar out to remove the oil filter in the future to change oil. You may need spacers,(stacked washers) on the bottom between the frame and the bar mounts.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input guys....but I still have no idea as to where those bottom mounting bolts are... no one sitting on any pics possibly ?

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Thanks for the input guys....but I still have no idea as to where those bottom mounting bolts are... no one sitting on any pics possibly ?
Just look at the bottom of the frame at the 90 degree bend under the radiator. you will see two threaded holes on the inside of the frame. When you install the top bolts, the 3" long brackets will line up with these holes. FYI the open side of the bar is the top.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Cavie-will take a peek tomorrow and see if I can sort it out. Appreciate the help mate,

·
Registered
7,830 Posts
If you are buying the bars new then they should have the bolts with them. Also, these threads are in the frame so if you struggle with the bolt, don't be afraid to grab a tap (M6 or M8, I think?) and hit the hole with it to clean it out some. As has been mentioned, don't tighten them atill you have all 4 in and good!

If you change your own oil, it can be a trick to get the filter out with the bars in place but It CAN be done. You can angle it out the RH side (all while keeping it upright enough to not spill oil) and finagle it out by the peg/floorboard. Or you can undo the bottom bolts and swing it forward.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I have had my Cobra highway bars for 7 years and never had to remove anything from the bars to change the oil filter. As stated before just work the filter up the right side of the bike.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Man today was a good day !! My boss was off sick so in the am made a beeline for the border ( Point Roberts, WA) to pick up my engine guards. Minimal wait at the border and at the pick up location in Point Roberts. Filled up with gas and saved a quick $16.
Got home and had a 30 min. window before the wife and kids arrived on scene-never in my wildest dreams did I think I could have the bars on before their return, but lo and behold 20 min. was all it took. I have to say I think I'm a Cobra fan now-everything lined up perfectly-amazing !! I'm still basking in the glow !! thanks again to all who offered advice-much appreciated.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Hey guys

Just joined from Vancouver,BC- bought a 2008 Boulevard C50 last week- and purchased some Cobra Engine guards on line yesterday. I am not at all mechanically inclined, but do want to attempt putting these on myself, as by all accounts on this forum, is a pretty perfunctory job.
had a look at the bike last night- I can see where the bars will attach at the top (sides) but cannot see any bolts at the bottom where guards might attach to. Will I have to remove the floorboards to attach ? havent seen anything to that effect in previous posts on the topic.
I saw two small bolts on the cross pipe between the main frame posts ( just under the Rad) but doubt that's where it attaches.

Also re the side mounting- the right side has just a plastic stopper so will use the bolt that comes with the kit to attach that- but there is an actual bolt on the left side- why would you use the hardware that come with the kit and not the existing bolt ? told you I'm clueless !!
Anyway any advice will be appreciated.
cheers

I'm not mechanically inclined either, but have spent the winter obtaining and installing all sorts of shiny and nifty things on my ride... I found that common sense is usually a good guide!:wayhappy:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts