Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
cjswag said:
I am not trying to be contrarian or anything, but....

I have no doubt the bars may have initially acted as a pivot point but there HAD to be something else going on. Forgive the physics lecture here, but:

The forks may have compressed causing the highway bars to impact the pavement. The highway bars may have at this point become the "pivot point", bearing the weight of the rider and added force due to the downhill turn. At this point, however, the forks are no longer bearing the weight of the rider etc and would become unweighted. The forks would then become decompressed. You said the front wheel did not again touch the ground. If that's the case, I'd do some looking to see what ELSE failed.

Glad to hear you're okay, though. That road looks like a lot of fun.
Now is that a SWAG or fact? :D

·
Premium Member
28,465 Posts
Born2bWild said:
I don't know..I have Cobra bars and Cobra floorboards. I scrape the boards all the time and have NEVER scraped the bars.
Ditto here. I've never scraped the bars but have the floor boards a lot.

·
Registered
46 Posts
GLAD TO HEAR YOU ARE OKAY .....I WENT WITH THE OEM HIGHWAY BAR JUST FOR THAT VERY REASON THEY DO NOT STICK VERY FAR AT ALL ...I WAS ON A WEBSITE ONCE THAT WAS FULL OF PIC OF BIKES PIVOTING ON THE BIG WIDE HIGHWAY BARS (THINK HD) ON THE FIRST CORNER OF THE DRAGON

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
C-50 BAGGER said:
GLAD TO HEAR YOU ARE OKAY .....I WENT WITH THE OEM HIGHWAY BAR JUST FOR THAT VERY REASON THEY DO NOT STICK VERY FAR AT ALL ...I WAS ON A WEBSITE ONCE THAT WAS FULL OF PIC OF BIKES PIVOTING ON THE BIG WIDE HIGHWAY BARS (THINK HD) ON THE FIRST CORNER OF THE DRAGON
Unfortunately the OEM highway bars won't actually protect the bike in the even that you do go down.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Im just saying after looking at about 15 pic of big highway bars becoming a pivot point that levers front tire from the pavement i decide to go the more clearance route and hope the bar does what its suppose to and allow me to get out and away from the bike and ill worry about the rest after the fact.....personal preference i suppose.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I am glad that I posted about this incident. My initial concern was that it may happen to someone else with more dire consequences, hence the opening warning. The discussion has been very positive overall. And, a few thoughts come to mind as a result of all the input. First, I did have more weight on board than I usually carry due to the luggage for the trip to Dan's and the old drive was also tied on the pillion. Therefore, more weight to shift to and compress the forks going down hill engine braking into the turn. Once the bars hit the pavement, it was only a short distance into the ditch and no chance for the front wheel to grab the pavement and get me up again even if it did extend with the weight off, I would have had to have some space to get traction again. Had it been a turn in the other direction, there would have been a whole other lane to work with. These back roads BTW are very narrow to begin with. To give you an idea of how far out we were, just after we got going again, maybe 2/10 of a mile, we came up on a bear eating out of a trash bag someone tossed to the side of the road. I took a picture but it was too dark to come out good with the cell phone camera.Then the only car we saw on the whole streach, scared the bear back into the woods. A crotch rocket passed and that was it for traffic on the whole "Snake"...I took off the bars today [also changed the oil, and rear drive oil as Dan recommended treating the mod like a new rear end]. I took some pictures that I can put in my gallery tomorrow to show the damage, foot board/bar relative position on the undamaged side as well as the position after the fact on the damaged side... I will try some other bars, but me and Cobra are parting company. I may go back to MCs, I scraped them a few times, but only way outboard on the bar and it actually bounced me upright again. The Cobras hit more inboard, closer to the bike and so the rest is history. No sense repeating what's been said.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Born2bWild said:
Studly said:
Born2bWild said:
I don't know..I have Cobra bars and Cobra floorboards. I scrape the boards all the time and have NEVER scraped the bars.
I don't know...apparently we're an anomaly!! :roll:
You guys drive Vols? right? And, have Cobra boards too? That must be the difference. My boards are C-50 OEM. VOLS come not with boards but pegs, right? Cobra bars and boards are engineered to fit together!! Now we are getting somewhere! Anomaly my @ZZ!! It's apples and oranges folks! The crux of the matter now appears to be: C-50 OEM foot boards and Cobra bars are a NO NO! The Cobra bars are lower than the OEM C-50 boards :evil: :evil: As you will see when I get my pics up.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Mort said:
Glad to hear you came out of this incident ok. If anyone wants to sell their Cobra bars because it can cause such a dangerous situation, I will buy one for $25.00 shipped. BTW, once you left the road and headed for the ditch, maybe the bars saved your legs?
You can have mine for free if you think they will straighten out? Just pay shipping which is about $26.00.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Rawhide said:
cjswag said:
I am not trying to be contrarian or anything, but....

I have no doubt the bars may have initially acted as a pivot point but there HAD to be something else going on. Forgive the physics lecture here, but:

The forks may have compressed causing the highway bars to impact the pavement. The highway bars may have at this point become the "pivot point", bearing the weight of the rider and added force due to the downhill turn. At this point, however, the forks are no longer bearing the weight of the rider etc and would become unweighted. The forks would then become decompressed. You said the front wheel did not again touch the ground. If that's the case, I'd do some looking to see what ELSE failed.

Glad to hear you're okay, though. That road looks like a lot of fun.
Now is that a SWAG or fact? :D
It's a fact, Linda. Gravity is not only a good idea, it's the law. :D

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Born2bWild said:
Studly said:
Born2bWild said:
I don't know...apparently we're an anomaly!! :roll:
Darling.. you are most definitely an anomaly.. LOL :lol:

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
BIKERPOP said:
Mort said:
Glad to hear you came out of this incident ok. If anyone wants to sell their Cobra bars because it can cause such a dangerous situation, I will buy one for $25.00 shipped. BTW, once you left the road and headed for the ditch, maybe the bars saved your legs?
You can have mine for free if you think they will straighten out? Just pay shipping which is about $26.00.
Bikerpop, thanks for the sale offer but I would rather have bars that were never used to pole vault a ditch.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I just put pictures in my gallery of the bars: scrape marks, undamaged right side showing relative position of bars/boards, and left side position with bars bent clear under foot boards. Boards are OEM and NOT Cobra boards, therein may lie the source of problem. OEMs apparently higher than Cobras. No way my OEMs would have hit before the bars touch. But, with the MCs the boards always scraped on tight turns. ie. Dragon average= 5 times each way; sr 209 from my house to Hotsprings= about 8 times each way... 1st time with Cobras on bike= no board first, just SCREEECH :roll: ! into the ditch :shock: :shock: .. Maybe I can get Rushbass to put them up here, I don't know how to and he did it for me before.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Having those bars below the foot-boards doesn't look like a good idea to me either, they also appear really low, I think I'll go take a look at those MC bars you were talking about. The OEM bars don't appear to protect anything, and actually don't extend far enough out to be useful for my highway pegs at all!

·
Registered
18 Posts
galiath said:
Having those bars below the foot-boards doesn't look like a good idea to me either, they also appear really low, I think I'll go take a look at those MC bars you were talking about. The OEM bars that I have, don't appear to protect anything, and actually don't extend far enough out to be useful for my highway pegs at all!

·
Registered
7,830 Posts
galiath said:
Having those bars below the foot-boards doesn't look like a good idea to me either, they also appear really low, I think I'll go take a look at those MC bars you were talking about. The OEM bars don't appear to protect anything, and actually don't extend far enough out to be useful for my highway pegs at all!

·
Registered
7,830 Posts
double post. &%$#@ server!

41 - 60 of 84 Posts