Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

21 - 40 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Glad your all right and hope everyone reads the post and takes the warning. Also, up here in Michigan we have something called "road conditions" which generally means the road is rough or wet or snow coverede and to slow down. But it can mena anything. Like twisty, curvy and banked. Sounds like 15 mph was too fast for the specific road condition. IMHO

·
Registered
7,830 Posts
Sounds like the uniqueness of the situation (downhill, sharp turn, etc) certainly didn't lend itself to Cobra bars being on there. If you feel like the other ones are better suited to your area, riding style, etc., it sounds like a no brainer for you.

However, I'm sure are a few documented car accident cases where the seatbelt caused more severe injury to the wearer, but that doesn't mean that seatbelts aren't safe.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
TNrookie said:
Sounds like the uniqueness of the situation (downhill, sharp turn, etc) certainly didn't lend itself to Cobra bars being on there. If you feel like the other ones are better suited to your area, riding style, etc., it sounds like a no brainer for you.

However, I'm sure are a few documented car accident cases where the seatbelt caused more severe injury to the wearer, but that doesn't mean that seatbelts aren't safe.
Agreed! I'm not taking mine off because of this.. Just want folks to be aware that when taking certain kinds of roads, the bars CAN catch. I know I'm more aware of it since it happened to me.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
DocO wrote: "Just so you know.. when I scraped, I was doing between 10 - 15 mph. I'd hardly call that "carving the pavement". As Bikerpop said.. these are not your typical twisties.. The roads he and I are referring to are extremely steep mountain roads with corkscrew type turns. As a comparison, when I rode the Dragon, I only managed to scrape my floorboard once. When I scraped the Cobra bar, I wasn't even leaning the bike much. The incline of the road was such that it was that much higher on one side of the bike than the other. "

Well, that 'splaines what happened to you VERY WELL! :lol:
WHAT A ROAD!! I completely understand the road incline situation and I can certainly see how that took place. Thanks for the pic and the explanation. Just glad you weren't hurt seriously.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
CzarOfKatmandu said:
NCBoulevard said:
Like BikerPop said, the MCEs don't scrape.
I've got a flat spot on mine that says you're wrong.
A lot depends on the grade of the road.
I have a flat spot too but it's from sliding down the pavement in Charleston. :shock:

How about if I qualify my comment with "usually". They don't usually scrape. I guess if I raised my highway pegs a little I could scrape the bars too. The heels of my boots scrape after my boards do. I typically use that as a signal that I'm leaned over about far enough.

·
Banned
3,012 Posts
Although I have Cobras I have always felt that the MC bars were shaped better from a technical point of view. I really don't think crash bars should be able to touch down before the floor boards.

I usually don't scrape the boards - when I do it's probably because I slightly misjudged a curve or found it tightening on me or more often because there is a sheet of cardboard lying in the road. In these cases I don't like the idea of my factor of safety being taken away by poorly designed crash bars.

I don't understand the concerns with the oil filter - I can fiddle mine in and out of there no trouble - had a more difficult time on some cars.

·
Registered
789 Posts
That road looks like there's a lot of loose rock/gravel all up and down it... doesn't look like fun to me. I had to replace my floorboards from grinding on them, and my tires have wear on them all the way to the edge of the tire, but I have a phobia about loose rock in a corner. <shiver>

Now if the road you're talking about looks like that and paved, gimme directions! :)

·
Premium Member
20,380 Posts
MikeyD said:
Unfortunately you had to prove my theory, the Cobras will become a pivot point if braking and in a sharp enough turn. Sorry that this happened to you, but sounds like you are not much worse for wear. B2BW. I dont know how your Cobra boards would touch first, I have the same setup, and my bars sit much lower than the boards, so go figure. Could it be because you are lowered? I will always continue to fear reaching that pivot point, so I guess I will have to continue taking the twisties a pace or two slower.
Interesting question regarding lowered bikes and Cobras. You might be onto something. My bike is lowered and I scrape boards, not bars. If the bike is lowered, the back end drops relative to the front, which puts the boards/pegs relatively lower than the front end compared to a stock height bike.

·
Registered
257 Posts
MikeyD said:
B2BW. I dont know how your Cobra boards would touch first, I have the same setup, and my bars sit much lower than the boards, so go figure.
I think it's because the rear of the floorboard is what scrapes first not the front. Thusly, you'd have to REALLY be into a corner to have your front of the board scrape and or the crash bars. Wade's scraped his Cobra bars on the Dragon several times, but while riding within himself, he was able to back off the throttle and get the bike off the bar.

·
Premium Member
6,301 Posts
CycleBiker said:
I don't understand the concerns with the oil filter - I can fiddle mine in and out of there no trouble - had a more difficult time on some cars.
You have stock pipes, there is not a problem. If you have aftermarket pipes, like me, you have to undo the bottom bolts on the bar and swing it out a little. No big deal.

·
Premium Member
17,308 Posts
I have the Cobra bars and Hank's shaker floorboards. My Vol has not been lowered. I scrape the boards a good bit but the bars have never hit.
I can see in certain road conditions they can hit. I'm glad you came out of this with out injury. I did hit one down hill turn on the Dragon to hot and drug the boards but not the Cobras. I was riding two up with Lillie and that may be why they didn't hit.

·
Registered
27,502 Posts
Jendesigner said:
CycleBiker said:
You have stock pipes, there is not a problem. If you have aftermarket pipes, like me, you have to undo the bottom bolts on the bar and swing it out a little. No big deal.
Actually, you don't really have to undo the bolts at all. I know a lot of people do......but all you really have to do is be good at Chinese puzzles. :wink:

·
Registered
247 Posts
I am not trying to be contrarian or anything, but....

I have no doubt the bars may have initially acted as a pivot point but there HAD to be something else going on. Forgive the physics lecture here, but:

The forks may have compressed causing the highway bars to impact the pavement. The highway bars may have at this point become the "pivot point", bearing the weight of the rider and added force due to the downhill turn. At this point, however, the forks are no longer bearing the weight of the rider etc and would become unweighted. The forks would then become decompressed. You said the front wheel did not again touch the ground. If that's the case, I'd do some looking to see what ELSE failed.

Glad to hear you're okay, though. That road looks like a lot of fun.

·
Premium Member
6,301 Posts
Born2bWild said:
Jendesigner said:
CycleBiker said:
Actually, you don't really have to undo the bolts at all. I know a lot of people do......but all you really have to do is be good at Chinese puzzles. :wink:
Oh, I tried and tried, but I have the forward controls and the adapter for the bar so that may play into it. No matter how I turn that filter it ain't coming out :)

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
Jendesigner said:
Born2bWild said:
Jendesigner said:
CycleBiker said:
Oh, I tried and tried, but I have the forward controls and the adapter for the bar so that may play into it. No matter how I turn that filter it ain't coming out :)
My understanding is B2BW is a contortionist... :wink:

·
Registered
12,591 Posts
Glad to hear you came out of this incident ok. If anyone wants to sell their Cobra bars because it can cause such a dangerous situation, I will buy one for $25.00 shipped. BTW, once you left the road and headed for the ditch, maybe the bars saved your legs?

21 - 40 of 84 Posts