Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Here's the deal...would like to buy some new pipes for my C50..either the V&H striaghts or the 2.5 Hard Chromes...with that said, if this is all I add right now, will I need to get a Power Commander? Next I really like the look of the Thunder Mfg Tornado air kit...this however looks like you would not want to get caught in the rain, as the filter is exposed , right?
Next, if both pipes and air kit or a K&N filter were put in, I realize that a PC would be req'd..how do you go about getting the right mapping to upload? do you have to contact the PC people to give the m your setup (pipes, air etc) or do they have maps for all combo's...

really confused, want to do this but don't trust the dealers for installs,a sthey are all pretty straight forward...

does anybody in the GTA of Toronto have any suggestions?

thanks all

·
Premium Member
17,308 Posts
I'm no expert on this but I'm sure you can ride in the rain with the Thunder Mfg Tornado air kit with out problems. Unless your in a monsoon. I'm not up on the rest I have the 04 Vol no fuel injection.

·
Registered
615 Posts
For V & H straight shots and K&N the is a map that can be downloaded from the Dynajet website. They have 2 , with or w/o baffles. This is then loaded into your PC III. You'll need a laptop to do this yourself w/ unit installed. If I remember right you get a battery that allows you to power up the unit at your desk top and then install it. Directions aren't bad and you can get help on their sight.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
VSB,

I just did the EXACT thing to my '06 C50T. I did the HK 2.5" American Straights, the Thunder Mfg Vertical teardrop air intake and the DynoJet Power commander. For the PC, some retailers will pre-program it for you if you tell them what mod's you're going to do. For me, I downloaded the info from the DynoJet website, then the map from the same website. Both take about 1 minute total to do total! The instructions to install the PC are very precise, and it took me about 1.5hrs to install. Not bad at all for someone who knows NOTHING about m/c's.

Anyway, I have pix in my gallery of the pipes and intake. The pipes pix have the bike still a bit torn apart, but you'll get the idea. The emblem I chose for the air intake is their "swoosh" emblem.

The pipes sound great at idle and obviously go "wham" on acceleration! But they're not so obnoxious that you can't control the volume by how you drive. Forinstance, after I drove away from my neighbor's house with the new pipes and intake, he said it didn't sound too loud, just nice and throaty. Yeah baby, yeah!!! :twisted:

So, if I can answer any questions about anything regarding this same set-up, please feel free to send me an E or a PM. Glad to assist.

Good luck,
Daryl

PS- BTW, the power increase was VERY noticeable. I got on it coming out of my buddy's driveway (to show off of course) and the damn bike almost jumped out of my hands! No kidding. You can hear the air intake even at idle sucking air. Good times... :D

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
IMHO, it depends on why you're making the modifications. If you are changing the pipes because you want your motorcycle to be loud, then all you need to do is change the pipes. On the other hand, if the reason that you are making the modifications is because you are looking for performance, then the Power Commander, I think, is the most critical component. If you're doing to for looks then I think replacing the football is the best option -- which will also require the Power Commander (or other FI device.)

I've never heard of anyone having issues caused by rain with any of the air intakes, although I believe a rain bonnet of some kind is sold for some of them.

As to the Power Commander, it comes with three basic maps. 1. Stock bike 2. V&H Straightshots with baffles and 3. V&H Straightshots without baffles. One of these maps should get you pretty close to where you need to be. You can tweak them a bit on your own from there. Further, you can look up a list of Power Commander service centers where you can get your bike dyno'd and they'll adjust it so that it is a close to perfect for your individual bike as you can get. How cool is that? Although, it looks like the closest tuning centers to you would be in the U. S.

One thing that you should be aware of with the PC is that your life will be much easier if you have a laptop computer that you can take to your bike rather than taking your PC to a computer.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
DS06C50T said:
Thunder Mfg Vertical teardrop air intake. You can hear the air intake even at idle sucking air. Good times... :D
Did you have to get an adapter for the air intake? I know some you have to.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
RidinOn said:
DS06C50T said:
Thunder Mfg Vertical teardrop air intake. You can hear the air intake even at idle sucking air. Good times... :D
Yes, the Thunder Mfg air kit requires an adaptor ($95). But it is beautifully polished and VERU functional. It, basically, is "your money's worth" because it replaces the stock 5/8" rubber tube intake with a "gullet of a mouth" that's approx. 4" oval that matches the oval shape of the stock intake sleeve that leads to the fuel injectors. It totally opens up the air flow from initial intake thru the filter to the FI's. HUGE difference; well worth it. This thing sucks BIG air and is nothing but business...

Best,
Daryl

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
DS06C50T said:
RidinOn said:
DS06C50T said:
Yes, the Thunder Mfg air kit requires an adaptor ($95). But it is beautifully polished and VERU functional. It, basically, is "your money's worth" because it replaces the stock 5/8" rubber tube intake with a "gullet of a mouth" that's approx. 4" oval that matches the oval shape of the stock intake sleeve that leads to the fuel injectors. It totally opens up the air flow from initial intake thru the filter to the FI's. HUGE difference; well worth it. This thing sucks BIG air and is nothing but business...

Best,
Daryl
Daryl, did you go directly to Thunder Manufacturing and Dynajet to get your air filter and PC? I've heard so many good things about these mods that I'm convinced and am going to go for it. I'm not much of a mechanic so am a little concerned about getting stuck in the middle of this, but I did put my Cobra pipes on myself. Well anyway, I'll see how far I get.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Surfcity said:
DS06C50T said:
RidinOn said:
DS06C50T said:

Best,
Daryl
Daryl, did you go directly to Thunder Manufacturing and Dynajet to get your air filter and PC? I've heard so many good things about these mods that I'm convinced and am going to go for it. I'm not much of a mechanic so am a little concerned about getting stuck in the middle of this, but I did put my Cobra pipes on myself. Well anyway, I'll see how far I get.
I got the air kit directly from Thunder Mfg. I got the PC from Eric @ Xtreme: 1-866-392-4531 for $270 + a good price on shpg. He's very fair on that, too.

Reference my PM to you re: installation, etc.

best,
Daryl

1 - 9 of 9 Posts