Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to order up some longer cables for some 14" ape hangers. They are not in yet and prefer to have a seamless mod so no riding time is lost. From what I am finding is that the overall legnth is 67 1/2 inches and housing 61 3/4 . Does the housing stay the same and just increase the overall legnth? How much over do I need for a 2003 VL800?

Thanks,

Ken

·
Registered
881 Posts
I had been asking the same question here Ken, I'm told from others who have installed apes that up to 13" your good with stock cables. That minor rerouting will help with the slack. I can only assume (because I have not installed them on my bike) that with rerouting of some of your cables you might be able to get away with the stock cables on your bike with 14". But someone else also posted a helpful point that Harley brake lines work on our metric bikes. Food for thought. I'm sure some of the other guys here that have done these mods will post more info and hopefully more helpful than mine.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
i just put 16s on my bike. of course i needed new cables. ill be the ifrst to say that there is nothing like new.my bike is an 05 and i think its worth the 120 bucks for new cables. rust free, bind free, crisp and clean. i think it would be worth it to just buy new.
just my .02

·
Registered
639 Posts
A friend of mine owns a shop where they make new custom cables to fit. He is more reasonable than anything I've seen aftermarket. Shoot him an email or a phone call and I'm sure he'd be happy to ship them out to you. [email protected] or 920-625-2999. And these are actual soldered cables not just the crimped on crap.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i just put 16s on my bike. of course i needed new cables. ill be the ifrst to say that there is nothing like new.my bike is an 05 and i think its worth the 120 bucks for new cables. rust free, bind free, crisp and clean. i think it would be worth it to just buy new.
just my .02
Where’d you get your cables from?

·
Registered
20,762 Posts
This thread is 10 years old.....

Many of the vendors who were making aftermarket parts for the bike are no longer in business or they simply dropped VL800 for lack of demand.

If you need longer cables, you're going to have to pay to have custom cables made.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hello,
I recently modded my bike and would recommend the following:

Venhill Make Your Own Custom Braided Brake 1 Line Kit 49-64 Inches Long -

Venhill Universal Dual Throttle Motorcycle Cable Kit 92 Inch -

This is a lot better than rerouting and fighting tight/binding cables. I don't care what others say, do it right the first time and keep safety in mind! I went this route because I wanted a clean factory like finish and have used this company's products on other bikes. Quality and performance is top notch! I also went a bit longer in the event I decided to go with higher bars down the road. Most people do and, I now see why. I put 12's on my bike and would probably go with 16's now. The beauty is, my new cables have the slack. Release the clutch cable from the frame behind the motor and rotate the elbow 180 degrees, reroute it beside the motor and through the headstock and you have plenty of slack. Oh, I cut and reused the factory ends of the accelerator cables with the new lines. This and a black brake line gives a nice factory finish.

Check out the driveway pic at the end of this thread. It shows the final job with the new lines.

Hit me up if you have any questions or want close up pics of the job.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts