Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While traveling 50mph, I heard some noise from underneath and without warning my 2006 C50 acted like I had put it in neutral. I coasted to the side of the road and was done! You can shift it into gears but will still roll like it's in neutral but makes noises and clinking sounds. Anyone ever had this happen or anyone have a clue what's going on? I think it's either the clutch or transmission.

·
Super Moderator
3,197 Posts
While traveling 50mph, I heard some noise from underneath and without warning my 2006 C50 acted like I had put it in neutral. I coasted to the side of the road and was done! You can shift it into gears but will still roll like it's in neutral but makes noises and clinking sounds. Anyone ever had this happen or anyone have a clue what's going on? I think it's either the clutch or transmission.
Driveshaft splines. --- again-----?

Where did the noise sound like it came from. Left ? Right? In front? Under? Or behind you?

Do a search on drive shaft failures.

How does the clutch lever feel when you pull it?

I suppose it could be something else but there is more driveshaft history.

·
Super Moderator
3,197 Posts
Hard to do links from my phone.......

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gene, the clutch feels fine, but the local motorcycle repair place said they had never heard of the transmission messing up and thought it may be the clutch. I didn't think about the drive shaft. The noise did seem from the left underneath. I maybe able to fix this on my own and less money! :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
03volusiarider, thanks a bunch! I hope it's not too hard to fix or too expensive. I've had it less than a year and have piled up 17,000 miles so far, it has 30,000 all together. Just posted some pictures of her on here.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Gene, the clutch feels fine, but the local motorcycle repair place said they had never heard of the transmission messing up and thought it may be the clutch. I didn't think about the drive shaft. The noise did seem from the left underneath. I maybe able to fix this on my own and less money! :)
I may question the shops ability to diagnose your issue and the effectiveness to repair it without too much effort... If they cannot determine that the rear drive splines may have gone bad.

Just saying... I may be wrong too.

RV

·
Registered
484 Posts
Yeah, pretty sure I would not trust a shop that assumes it is the clutch simply because they have not heard of a transmission messing up. Transmissions do fail, as do clutches, driveshafts, final drive pumpkins, secondary drives, and u-joints.

Do not order anything until you accurately diagnose the problem. A stripped driveshaft is a strong possibility and the most likely cause, but I would hate to see you order a driveshaft only to find out that the u-joint let loose or the final drive is roached.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for your input, the shop (where I bought it) said if it was the trans, it would be $1000 just in labor!! So, I decided not to go there anyway.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
And if it is the clutch, it is recommended you lube your drive shaft splines anyway, so pull it and check it before spending any cash.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Alright which end of the shaft splines are you guys referring to. I would like to check mine or have mine checked since I enjoy the bike and do not want it to fail me. I see a lot of posts about drive-shafts stripping the splines due to no grease or little grease, so I am going to fix mine before it dies.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
The end that we are generally referring to is the drive end, The part of the driveshaft that goes into the rear drive housing. But you should lube both ends, the transmission side has a u-joint with splines that should be lubed also.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So, it's usually not the u-joint end? That means all you have to do is pull the shaft out replace and lube the u-joint end good and slide into the u-joint, replace the wheel and RIDE!

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
http://www.dets.com/rusks/Checking%20Driveshaft%20Lubrication.pdf You really need to follow this link. It explains it all, EXCEPT, your splines are stripped on the end that goes into the final drive, NOT the end that goes into the u-joint. You will have to remove the black seal, and circlip that keeps your shaft in the final drive to even see where they are stripped.
Very helpful. Although, I don't see a reference page for how to remove the drive shaft from the drive to inspect the drive end of the shaft which is what the OP is asking. No remarks on the seal and circlip removal.

·
Registered
138 Posts

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
This will explane the "how-to"...
http://www.volusiariders.com/58-motors-transmissions-drives/219556-how-inspect-rear-drive-shaft.html

Read the entire article. Page 1 & 2 has pictures showing how to remove the seal & clip.

Cheers...
Same link that VolusiaRider offered. Extremely helpful and it helps me do everything I need to do as well starting today except removing the seal and circlip. I've looked several times and pages 1-2 show how to remove the fake swing arm? Am I missing pages?

RV

1 - 20 of 39 Posts