Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I thought that others would find this interesting and helpful.

I was having a bit of a problem reaching my clutch lever as I know many others have, Mostly women.:bigoops:
I purchased a new clutch lever from an Ebay vendor. It was a Parts Unlimited, Part # 0613-0484. About $18.00 shipped. Perfect match to the original. That way, if I screwed it up, no big loss and I would not have my bike laid up with no clutch lever.

First, I traced the new lever on a piece of cardboard for a reference.

What I was trying to do was to removing some of the bend that was in the lever handle.

Next, I got set up on the basement floor, with a thin wood block at the knob end and double cardboard at the pivot end. I placed the wood on the outboard end of the lever under the dimple that is punched into the lever about 1 inch from the knob. (I think this may be a break away in case of a crash. You would have some lever left if it broke off to get you home.) Any way I didn’t want the lever to break off at that point, that is why I supported it as I did.

Next I got my Burnzamatic torch and heated the lever up for a bit, just were the lever went from the thick pivot end to the thinner handle part. (That is were I wanted the lever to bend. (Or unbend).

After heating for about 45 to 60 seconds, I placed a piece of 2X4 on edge just were I wanted the bend and smacked it with a 2 pound lump hammer a couple times. Using a pair of pliers, I picked the lever up and set it on the tracing that I made earlier to see how I was doing. I felt it was close, just shy of ¾”. I repeated the process and ended up with about 7/8 inch change.

I next did a little polishing with 600 wet/dry paper and then used Blue Magic to put the finish polish back on. It was OK with out the polish but I am a bit of a nut that way.

Next I removed the old clutch lever from my bike and installed the new one. As I was working on the install, I thought there might be a problem and I was right. The lever’s through, or range of movement, was not enough to move the starter safety switch to the start position. I fixed that by using a close quarter hack saw to cut off a bit of the switch button and filed the end a bit round as was the original.

Hooray! It worked. The lever is still very strong and it was not difficult to unbend and I can even wrap my pinky finger around the lever.:wayhappy:

The friction point has changed to much closer to the handle bar but it is just fine. ¾ of an inch probably would have been enough but I am good.

I hope this will be helpful to some folks.

·
Super Moderator
8,879 Posts
Rich, this is essentially what we did to the clutch lever on my Cross Roads. It isn't adjustable, and I have very small hands. So we purchased a new lever and used heating/bending on it, then installed it on the bike. It sure helps!

Well done, my friend.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rich, this is essentially what we did to the clutch lever on my Cross Roads. It isn't adjustable, and I have very small hands. So we purchased a new lever and used heating/bending on it, then installed it on the bike. It sure helps!

Well done, my friend.

You mean I reinvented the wheel? :biglaugh:

In my research I found all kinds of contradictory advice on bending. Cold, hot, it would break or weaken the lever, bend it fast, bend it slow. I just had to use my own judgment and experience and try it.

I forgot to mention that I did a complete clutch adjustment, from the bottom up, once I completed the new lever install.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts