Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time poster so bear with me if this has been posted before.
I put new clutch lever and brass bushing on my 2007 C90T. OEM Suzuki parts. Old lever was worn and sloppy brass bushing but worked fine. After using the new clutch lever a few times the clutch started slipping and got to a point where it would not engage at all. I had to push my bike 1/4 mile home. Cracked open the hydraulic line at the clutch master cylinder and fluid squirted out (lever not pressed). The clutch then worked fine for a few minutes, but after using the lever a few more times the clutch started slipping again. If I crack the hydraulic line and relieve the pressure the clutch again works fine. I had to do this several times on my trek around town today.

What would cause the hydraulic fluid pressure to build up and not allow the clutch to engage?

Your thought?

I know there is no adjustment to the hydraulic clutch system.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
3,197 Posts
First time poster so bear with me if this has been posted before.
I put new clutch lever and brass bushing on my 2007 C90T. OEM Suzuki parts. Old lever was worn and sloppy brass bushing but worked fine. After using the new clutch lever a few times the clutch started slipping and got to a point where it would not engage at all. I had to push my bike 1/4 mile home. Cracked open the hydraulic line at the clutch master cylinder and fluid squirted out (lever not pressed). The clutch then worked fine for a few minutes, but after using the lever a few more times the clutch started slipping again. If I crack the hydraulic line and relieve the pressure the clutch again works fine. I had to do this several times on my trek around town today.

What would cause the hydraulic fluid pressure to build up and not allow the clutch to engage?

Your thought?

I know there is no adjustment to the hydraulic clutch system.

Thanks.
As a result of your replacement parts, there has to be something that is pushing on the piston in the clutch master cylinder...

When the clutch is PROPERLY released, the piston is in a position where there is a tiny hole in the bore of the master cylinder that will allow free flow of the fluid into the reservoir from the slave down at the clutch and prevent trapped fluid that will expand as it is heated and begin to release the clutch.

That tiny hole is properly blocked by the master cylinder piston as the lever is pulled to release the clutch and should never be blocked when the lever is released. check for binding in the pivot or resistance to release in a rubber boot that might be covering the pivot on the lever.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
drill out bushing?

Thanks Gene. I'll pull it all apart again tomorrow, although there is not much between the lever except the bushing, pushrod and a rubber boot.

I was wondering if I slightly drilled out the hole in the new bushing if it will allow the pushrod to retract sufficiently.

I'll let you know how I make out tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Put the old lever back on and see if the problem goes away, now you will know if it's the lever or master cylinder problem.

BTW what kind of bike is it?

·
Super Moderator
3,197 Posts
put the old lever back on and see if the problem goes away, now you will know if it's the lever or master cylinder problem.

Btw what kind of bike is it?
07 - c90t

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I pulled off the lever and pushrod from my 2007 C90T and everything looked clean, no debris blocking the pushrod.
I carefully drilled the brass bushing a little deeper for the pushrod and the clutch now works fine. I'm guessing it was a defective bushing that was not allowing the pushrod to retract fully.
I would not have though I would need to modify the OEM bushing but there you go.

Anyway, thanks all for your support.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts