Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My clutch has just about made its last run. Has been adjusted and done again. I have read the manual and with that vast info I need to know a couple things. The book is almost as clear as mud. How difficult is it to R&R a clutch. I have done some mechanical stuff in my life but am worried about finding a shop and being able to afford it. Can I do it or do I need to contract it out? On a 1-10 scale how is difficulty. any tips anyone can give me?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
It is not a difficult job. Just don't forget to use gasket cement to fasten the new gasket to the case cover before reinstalling the cover. I didn't know to use the cement and had a bad leak because the gasket moved out of place while I was installing the cover. I replaced the entire clutch, plates and springs.

·
Registered
206 Posts
easy, did it myself and put in some barnett plates and springs.
i agree with gasket cement, or just pay careful attention to the gasket.
mine slipped and i had a terrible oil leak up top.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Just pay attention to which hole each bolt is in, not all the same length. And don't lose the dowels that hold the gasket in place for reinstall.
If you use gasket cement you will have a tough time ever getting it off. My oem gasket had none and I replaced it with a new gasket also with no sealer. If everything is clean you should not have any leaks.
Just my opinion.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It's easier on the BLVD than my Nomad. On the BLVD it took about 45 minutes.

On a scale of 1-10, with 1 being the easiest, I would give it a 3/4.

MT

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
What kind of mileage is typical for C50 clutches?
That's a variable question... As they say, your mileage may vary!

Depends on how you ride, where you ride, and solo or 2up. Whether your a clutch dragger or just cut it loose without easing it in or out. Some riders could burn up a clutch in short order due to an aggressive riding style. Some ease in and out and ride for 10's of thousands of miles without clutch replacement.

I myself replaced my clutch plates and springs at 38k miles. I added a DJ drive and wanted a Barnett Clutch. I feel that the C90 stock clutch is beefier than the C50, so why not match the clutch with the rear drive. Made sense to me and that's all that I needed...

I might expect some riders to never change the clutch. I'm at 57k miles now and as stated, 2nd clutch. This one ought to take it till the bike dies.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts