Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know there's supposed to be some free play in the clutch lever (i searched and read a bunch of posts). But it seems like after a good 1-1.5 hours of riding the free play increases... normal?
Clutch works fine, maybe its just me being paranoid that the whole will come loose...

While im at it, when downshifting through all the gears, i need to give a much stronger "kick" to go from 2-1 (seems more after i messed around with the clutch cable at the lever), otherwise i end up in neutral. is THAT normal? Being a noob can be stressful

·
Super Moderator
3,197 Posts
I know there's supposed to be some free play in the clutch lever (i searched and read a bunch of posts). But it seems like after a good 1-1.5 hours of riding the free play increases... normal?
Clutch works fine, maybe its just me being paranoid that the whole will come loose...

While im at it, when downshifting through all the gears, i need to give a much stronger "kick" to go from 2-1 (seems more after i messed around with the clutch cable at the lever), otherwise i end up in neutral. is THAT normal? Being a noob can be stressful
What I understand you to be describing is that the ''free play'' of the clutch lever starts off at one distance when cold and increases when the engine/clutch is warmed up, then when it cools off again the ''free play'' is the same as it was before you rode the bike for that 1-1.5 hours.

How long since you've done a COMPLETE clutch adjustment?

The slip of the clutch plates changes some from when they and the engine are cold to when they are hot. That could be contributing to a sensation of more free play.

The only other possible cause would be a temporary stretch of the clutch cable due to the heat produced while riding.... That would not usually be a noticeable occurrence.

The actual clutch free is measured at the bottom end of the clutch cable.

The free play at the clutch lever includes the actual clutch free play and lever free travel that is set by adjusting the jam nuts on the cable sheath down on the transmission housing and adjusted by the thumb wheel on the lever.

The actual clutch free play as measured at the bottom end of the cable will decrease with clutch plate wear. It also decreases a bit as the clutch release parts warm up to operating temperature.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lv2tinker, that was awesome, thank you.

Here's something (really dumb) I need clarification, the "large round lock" nut the guy is pointing at with his index finger on the second picture, is that supposed tight against the lever or "the smaller adjustment knob"??? Could it be this the reason i feel like it keeps getting looser?

Also I havent done a full adjustment in the last month when i first got the bike.
I got it from a honda dealer after a "full inspection" (not free), safe to assume everything was set correctly i guess...

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Full clutch adjustment is easy to follow with the guide and pictures in the forum. It is easy to see what you need to do once you have the pictures and are looking at your bike at the same time.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hold on.....
"Loosen the large round lock nut on the clutch cable until it reaches the smaller adjustment
knob.."

Doesnt this mean that when im done adjusting and i want to lock it in place, i should tighten it against the lever?

·
Registered
198 Posts
i have a question to add. am i understanding this correct,,, as the clutch wares, your "Free Play" or slack will be smaller and it will slip, and an adjustment will correct this? to me that sounds backwards. i would assume as the clutch wares the free play would increase and you would have to adjust so you didnt have too much slack and the clutch would not fully disengage.

·
Super Moderator
3,197 Posts
i have a question to add. am i understanding this correct,,, as the clutch wares, your "Free Play" or slack will be smaller and it will slip, and an adjustment will correct this? to me that sounds backwards. i would assume as the clutch wares the free play would increase and you would have to adjust so you didnt have too much slack and the clutch would not fully disengage.
It does seem backward doesn't it..... Your assumption is a fair one and common at first glance but false...

The free play does, in fact, decrease as the clutch wears. This link to the pink book shows a cutaway drawing on page 3-62.

The pressure plate is the part on the extreme right of the assembly

it is forced to the left by the clutch springs to clamp the clutch plates...

There is a push rod in the center of the plates that is moved to the right to disengage the clutch.

There needs to be free play between the push rod and pressure plate because as the disks wear, the pressure plate moves to the left and closer to the pushrod.

http://www.jaycepatterson.com/Jayce/PinkBook/Motor_parte_91-100.pdf
Hope that helps......

1 - 10 of 10 Posts