2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My clutch felt weird.
I adjusted it.
I rode for a year.
It started slipping.
Did a Barnett. Adjusted it.
Been riding for ~2 months now.
It's starting to feel notchy and like it's losing power.
Getting nervous with the rally coming up.
Anyone in New England that can lend a hand, at least take a look before the rally? :(

·
Premium Member
3,197 Posts
My clutch felt weird.
I adjusted it.
I rode for a year.
It started slipping.
Anyone in New England that can lend a hand, at least take a look before the rally? :(
Wish I was there !!!!

:)

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Me too.
Did a quick 200 miles today.
The heel shifter started to feel crunchy. I missed a gear more than once. The toe shifter was fine. Up, down, didn't matter.
They're THE Same lever...

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
When was the last time you changed the oil?

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did the oil when I did the clutch. I don't know where I got 2 months. Maybe it just feels like that.
The post is dated 8/11.
I did my winter mix of oil which is conventional Castrol 4T 10w-40 motorcycle oil with a little Lucas.
I'll have to check that bushing.
I was riding to Rhode Island once and that bolt fell out.
I had the nut, washers, etc so I just bought a metric bolt and threw it all back together. I'll examine it and report back.

·
Premium Member
3,197 Posts
I did the oil when I did the clutch. I don't know where I got 2 months. Maybe it just feels like that.
The post is dated 8/11.
I did my winter mix of oil which is conventional Castrol 4T 10w-40 motorcycle oil with a little Lucas.
I'll have to check that bushing.
I was riding to Rhode Island once and that bolt fell out.
I had the nut, washers, etc so I just bought a metric bolt and threw it all back together. I'll examine it and report back.
Based on your description of the difference between the action of the heal and toe locations and the fact that you subbed in a different pivot bolt, I agree with the rest who suggested the shifter bushing.

Replace the bolt with an OEM one. Also a new OEM washer. If the OEM nut isn't self locking - get one and use a new G-man bushing. No shortcuts.

Adjust the nut tight enough to remove all side play in the lever yet won't make it bind when moved up or down.

This won't address some of the issues you describe but may remove some distracting symptoms and allow you to clearly define actual clutch related problems.

·
Premium Member
3,197 Posts
My clutch felt weird.
I adjusted it.
I rode for a year.
It started slipping.
Do an inspection of your clutch cable - detach it at both ends and pull it out in both directions so you can see if there is any fraying.

Then do another COMPLETE clutch inspection of all pivot points at the hand lever and lower lever under the engine cover. Another set of eyes on the wear points might be good - if you like.

Follow up with a COMPLETE clutch adjustment. Don't let the lower adjustment screw turn when you tighten the locknut. That will remove the free play at the release bearing and cause slippage due to incomplete engagement.

Hope some of this helps.

Z

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ordered the bushing this AM.
I have a confirmation email that my order was received. Will investigate later tonight.

Thanks so far, guys.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.