Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed the clutches and now I cant get cover to stop leaking. Old gasket was completely remived and new gaket installed. Any advice other than draining all the new oil and replacing gasket?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Since the gasket surfaces on the block and cover were completely clean, I'd day loosen all the bolts slightly and then torque down the cover evenly using a crossing pattern.

·
Registered
19,513 Posts
It is possible that the new gasket folded when you were putting the cover on and may have torn. It happens. I would try what pingzing suggested with tightening the bolts in a cris-cross pattern. If that doesn't help, order a new gasket and this time use a little RTV to hold it in place.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I changed the clutches and now I cant get cover to stop leaking. Old gasket was completely remived and new gaket installed. Any advice other than draining all the new oil and replacing gasket?

before you drain the oil and pull the cover, there are a couple of tiny o-rings on a couple of the bolts, if you lost those or they are in wrong you wont hold oil.
check the exploded diagram of the cover to see which bolts they go on.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I made a diagram of the gasket and stuck the bolts in the holes to avoid putting them in wrong. It is leaking from the gasket behind the bottom center bolt. Will try to loosen and retighten when I get home. I found the torque pattern for the clutch bolts but nothing for the cover.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I always like to use a little RTV on both sides of gasket as well. And tighten a little at a time in criss cross pattern starting at center. Good Luck

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I had the same problem when I installed new clutch in my 07. The gasket shifted out of place while I was installing the cover. Next try I use gasket cement to fasten the gasket to the case cover. Problem solved.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all of you who offered your advice. I guess I need better lighting in my garage. Removed cover and found a round piece of the old gasket circling the bottom center bolt hole. Dont know how I missed it but glad its done. I sold my Volusia and I refused to let it go when I knew the clutches were going so I changed them for the new owner. Thanks to everyone here who has given me advise over the years or sold me parts. I have crossed over to the dark side and bought a brand new 2013 street glide.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts