Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
14,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
while doing a burnout im pretty sure i fried my clutch, its to the point it barley grabs and revs free at end of each gear, even after numerous adjustments

? is, has anyone replaced there clutch lately? what clutch did you buy and how much was it? think it would take more than a few hours to replace?

any advice would help

·
Registered
13,216 Posts
you sure you didnt just strip the drive shaft?? might be worth a check, as it may be easier to change (& cheaper?) than the clutch...

my .02

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
Since you haven't gotten many responses yet, I might as well throw in my $.01 (I don't know enough to contribute 2 cents). I was only in my Vol clutch once...years ago and that was just to replace the springs with stronger ones - Barnett I think. I have done several other clutches on other bikes and for the most part, it's a pretty easy job. You should be able to do it in a couple hours. From what I remember you only have to pull the spring bolts to get the pressure plate off and then you can remove all the clutch plates. There's a funky wave washer configuration underneath the stack that sits against the hub, so pay attention to that. Also, I think the innermost plate is different from the rest. Soak the new friction plates in oil before you install them. Order a new clutch cover gasket, it'll save aggravation later.

·
Premium Member
14,425 Posts
When I did mine I think the instructions said to soak the plates overnight.
Here are Briman's instructions with part numbers, it is what I used
Clutch_Replacement.pdf

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
but not in regular cage oil like another member did!
The friction fighters in it ruined his plates and had to order replacements.:eek:utcold:

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
I've done two Mac, mine and my brothers bike. It's pretty easy overall and should only take an hour or two at most. I bought Barnett kits for both bikes, they came with new springs and new steel plates along with the friction discs. I found the kits on Ebay for $150 each from a place in Tampa. You'll need the cover gasket and fresh oil to refill the engine. Soak the clutch plates in oil like previously stated, I dropped mine in oil the night before.

Put the bike in neutral and don't touch it again until it's all back together. The right side cover keeps the shifter in place and if you move it without the cover it'll be misaligned when you put it back together.

Drain the oil, remove the exhaust to get to the cover, remove the cover. You'll see four bolts in the clutch hub, remove those by gradually unthreading them a little at a time, they are spring loaded. Once the hub is unbolted you'll find a disc and then a steel plate followed by another disc and steel plate, a total of six(I think) of each. The instructions that came with the set showed one disc is different than all the rest, it's easy to spot this disc. I believe it goes in first followed by alternating steel plates and discs. Replace the hub using the new springs and tighten the four bolts by turning each one about a half turn alternating in a crisscross pattern. This is important because you're aligning the hub over the throwout bearing and compressing the discs, plates and springs all at the same time. If you tighten one or two more than the others it'll get misaligned and you probably will break one of the bolts, so tighten them evenly. This is where I thought I'll just put it into gear and it'll stop rotating while I tighten these bolts, DON'T DO IT, it'll miss align the shifter and you'll end up taking it all back apart.

Once the hub is tight, replace the cover with a new gasket, replace the exhaust and fill it with oil. Readjust the clutch for freeplay and take it for a ride.

·
Registered
7,102 Posts
have you checked your drive shaft and final drive assembly?

·
Registered
14,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
update!

apearntly after i replaced the clutch i had the cable way out of adjustment, scorpio readjusted it and away i went, better than new!

IT LIVES!

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
update!

apearntly after i replaced the clutch i had the cable way out of adjustment, scorpio readjusted it and away i went, better than new!

IT LIVES!
^^^^^^^^^^^
:bigoops: :biglaugh:

·
Registered
14 Posts

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Best thing I did was replace the clutch with a new Barnett plates and springs.

·
Registered
93 Posts
UGH - help please

Put the bike in neutral and don't touch it again until it's all back together. The right side cover keeps the shifter in place and if you move it without the cover it'll be misaligned when you put it back together. If you tighten one or two more than the others it'll get misaligned and you probably will break one of the bolts said:
so.... let's just say that you DO pull the cluch in :nono:... hypothetically speaking ... how would one go about getting it realigned?

I put the clutch plates back together and bolted but have the cover off since I hadnt thoguht ahead to order the gasket and was moving the bike around the garage and pulled the clutch lever - there was NO feel to it so like a DA I kept messing with it. :brick:
:duh:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts