Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Volusia which I purchased in Nov. I have put about 1000 miles on the bike and it has about 3500 total. This is my first bike.

When I start the bike in gear ,with the clutch engaged ,it has a slight pull like is is going to take off for a moment, not much

Also, when I shift the bike from N to 1st with clutch engaged it thumps when it goes into gear, just a little.

Also, when I am stopped at a light sometimes it will not shift from N to 1st without releasing the clutch and then engaging it again. It then slips in very easily.

I have adjusted the cable out and nothing realy changes.

Is the charteristic of this bike.
Any suggestion are apperciated.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
catfish said:
I have a 2003 Volusia which I purchased in Nov. I have put about 1000 miles on the bike and it has about 3500 total. This is my first bike.

When I start the bike in gear ,with the clutch engaged ,it has a slight pull like is is going to take off for a moment, not much

Also, when I shift the bike from N to 1st with clutch engaged it thumps when it goes into gear, just a little.

Also, when I am stopped at a light sometimes it will not shift from N to 1st without releasing the clutch and then engaging it again. It then slips in very easily.

Sounds normal to me, my 04 does all those same things at 25K miles.

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
the bike shifts w/ a clunk. The bike also does lurch a little if you don't slip the clutch a little.

As for N >> 1st part not sure. could be the last owner was hard on the clutch and is a little worn.

my Buoly does the same on the 1st 2 and sometime won't shift into N from 1st unless I let out the cutch a little. The bikea are geared kind low.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Boxwrench said:
As for N >> 1st part not sure. could be the last owner was hard on the clutch and is a little worn.
I have the same simptom with my bike. It rarely hapens, but it does. It has 7k miles.

·
Registered
879 Posts
TheToolGuy said:
catfish said:

Sounds normal to me, my 04 does all those same things at 25K miles.
Same here on my 2005 C50 with 10,048 miles

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Sounds about normal for our bike. Please don't set at a light in neutral. You should be in first gear so if some one else doesn't decide to stop behind you you have a chance to get out of the way. Stay in gear and watch your mirrors while you are waiting at a light.

Ride Safe,
Rex

·
Registered
115 Posts
My '06 behaved that way too. (all those same quirks)

I thought it would wear in and settle out in time, but now I have 5,000 miles and I've just gotten used to dealing with it all.

Kinda like my wife. She's pretty enough I just put up with the quirks and then over time I find I've gotten comfortable with 'em.

Motorcycles and women, you like 'em all, but the Volusia & the wife, you gotta love 'em. (In spite of the quirks)

Ride safe

·
Premium Member
2,777 Posts
1. Start the bike in neutral, if you can.

2. Thump is normal when shifting neutral to first.

3. 100% what shooterrex said: Do not sit at a light in neutral. Proper downshifting and, if you are so inclined, motor braking should place you at a stop in first gear in almost all circumstances.

So yes, this all sounds like normal VOL character and you shouldn't worry. Be safe and enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
736 Posts
cltuch woes

24k on it, still does it. Gotta double clutch it sometimes. But it's been clicking along for five years doing the exact same thing. So I don't worry much. I think I am due for a clutch though, it's been slippin when I get it revved up on the highway some times. I have heard that the springs are a lil bit weak on these bikes.
I can't say I was the most gentle of shifters sometimes. Especially when I got the new pipes and all. Now I settled down on it. But it's not a drag bike and I gotta stop playin with friends at the lights.
I was wondering if anyone was going to mention things with the clutch. Is your's smooth straight through the shifting? Mine's smooth as a baby's butt. It has always been that way. I would say as long as it shifts smoothly, and stays in gear you have nothing to worry bout. When it starts getting cranky I would worry.
-dWv

·
Registered
590 Posts
.... well ... if you have not done so already ... there will also come a day when you will find a "False Neutral" between gears (where there should be no neutral) ... don't panic ... SHIFT UP ... not down ... you can safely shift back down again later if need be ...

... why? ... glad you asked ... so you don't lock up the back tire and skid ... and it's easier on your clutch ...

... interestingly enough, through all of the rave reviews on the VL800 the one item mentioned was the "clunky clutch" and the need to firmly place her in gear ...

... I have beaten the snot out of my VL800 and she still runs like top with only routine maintenance ... I wouldn't worry about your clutch unless some real trouble creeps up (and you might want to reset that clutch cable if you let all of the slack out and have not done so yet) ...

·
Registered
7,112 Posts
Normal. I've owned a lot of bikes in the last 35 years and My '03 Volusia is one of the clunkiest shifting ones I've had. Not a real smooth shifter at all compared to most of the others. Nothing wrong with it, just a characteristic of the bike.
Might add that if there is a car ahead of you at the traffic light it's a good idea to come to a stop behind him to right of center with the bike angle slightly towards the edge of the road. This way if some a$$hole rear ends you, you don't get crushed between the two. Instead your pushed clear of the car in front to his right side.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
You have what they call a wet clutch. When the motorcycle sits in gear after being turned off the clutch plates stick together slightly. This is what causes the lurching when starting in gear with the clutch pulled in. It is normal. Try putting it in neutral before starting cold and see if that changes. :)

·
Registered
12,595 Posts
Also the use of synthetic oil seems to make the shifting smoother. Not sure if it is really doing it, but it feels that way.

·
Registered
9,626 Posts
the only other adjustment (other then the cable at the lever) is to adjust the clutch at the clutch basket....it's behind a cover on the left side of the bike.....directions are on the rusk web site.

takes about 20 mins. That CAN relieve some of those symptoms but not always. BTW-I owned 2 suzukis and both had these symptoms.....sometimes they would be fine after adjustment and other times they wouldn't.

try it.

·
Registered
9,626 Posts
Re: cltuch woes

Dragonwingedvolusia said:
24k on it, still does it. Gotta double clutch it sometimes. But it's been clicking along for five years doing the exact same thing. So I don't worry much. I think I am due for a clutch though, it's been slippin when I get it revved up on the highway some times. I have heard that the springs are a lil bit weak on these bikes.
I can't say I was the most gentle of shifters sometimes. Especially when I got the new pipes and all. Now I settled down on it. But it's not a drag bike and I gotta stop playin with friends at the lights.
I was wondering if anyone was going to mention things with the clutch. Is your's smooth straight through the shifting? Mine's smooth as a baby's butt. It has always been that way. I would say as long as it shifts smoothly, and stays in gear you have nothing to worry bout. When it starts getting cranky I would worry.
-dWv
If you can find barnet "green springs" it's worth a shot to change them. They are FAR FAR FAR better then stock. As a matter of fact, I am installing them in my Triumph. No slips but I've heard nothing but good things about those springs and I am hoping to get rid of a slight clutch basket rattle. It's just a small quirk I'll looking to get rid of.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Thanks for the info that I was specifically looking for. I just got my C50 and left it in gear overnight. When I went to start it, with the clutch pulled in, I thought it was going to take off on its own. This is not how any of the Yamahas, older Suzukis or HD's that we have owned acted so I thought I might have a problem (guess not).

I also have experienced problems getting it to shift from N to 1st at a stop (Yes, I know - the plan was NOT to be in N, but sometimes it happens). I literally had to back the bike up about 1/2 ft before it would think about shifting to 1st. It would shift into 2nd all I wanted. and back into N, but not to 1st until I rolled the bike back.

At least I know these quirks seem to be fairly normal so will just keep these thinks in mind until I get used to them. :D

·
Premium Member
2,777 Posts
Bogie said:
Thanks for the info that I was specifically looking for. I just got my C50 and left it in gear overnight. When I went to start it, with the clutch pulled in, I thought it was going to take off on its own. This is not how any of the Yamahas, older Suzukis or HD's that we have owned acted so I thought I might have a problem (guess not).

I also have experienced problems getting it to shift from N to 1st at a stop (Yes, I know - the plan was NOT to be in N, but sometimes it happens). I literally had to back the bike up about 1/2 ft before it would think about shifting to 1st. It would shift into 2nd all I wanted. and back into N, but not to 1st until I rolled the bike back.

At least I know these quirks seem to be fairly normal so will just keep these thinks in mind until I get used to them. :D
Welcome new member!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts