Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am prepping a bunch of stuff for chrome. Has anyone ever chromed the rear drive housing? Mechanic is a HD guy and not sure of the gearing inside. Is/ Are there any special considerations for removing gearset?

Got a day or so to prep for mail to chromer.

Thanks in Advance

·
Registered
12,595 Posts
An alternative to chrome is just polishing the sh!t out of that aluminum. It will look almost chrome and you don't have to worry about the gears, gaskets etc. getting all messed up in the dipping.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
There is a member on here that chromed many of the parts of his bike, I think including the drive.. His name escapes me right now.. I'll have to search around the posts.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Umple Z said:
There is a member on here that chromed many of the parts of his bike, I think including the drive.. His name escapes me right now.. I'll have to search around the posts.
The guy was Sledhead.. he did have a picture in his gallery that had all the parts layed out.. but the galleries are empty since the upgrade.. I can't remember all of the parts... but there were LOTS and he said the shop in Ft Wayne, IN only charged like $375 for all..

The contact info he gave was:
The chromer's email is: [email protected] and the phone# is (800) 592-4766. Tell them you saw it on this site and that Sledhead (Calvin Babb) told you about them.

Here is the original post
http://www.volusiariders.com/viewtopic.php?t=3775&highlight=

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
I've looked in my service manual (you would want one of those if you were going tear your drive assembly apart) and there are some special tools to hold the coupler while you turn the nut off the pinion gear. There is probably a work around to accomplish that though. I'd check with vr member dhillis, he's done more work with final drive units than most anyone, I don't know if he did a complete tear down. One thing I'd think about is are there any clearance issues that the chroming process could interfere with. Uniquechrome has been mentioned. That may be a better alternative. His is not an actual plating process and probably could be done without tearing the drive assembly down.
viper

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
Hey, how do you do that "tiny url" thing again?

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
Ok, got to Umple's post, click on "Like this" and study the schematic :lol:

(I couldn't that F'n thing to work :oops:)
Viper

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
472viper said:
Ok, got to Umple's post, click on "Like this" and study the schematic :lol:

(I couldn't that F'n thing to work :oops:)
Viper
Quote my previous post, with the quote button, and you will see exactly how it's done. Also, you can hover your mouse over the URL button on the "Post a reply" screen and it will show you the 2 different options for posting a link.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks.
My deployment gifts to me included
Chrome switch covers
All stainless lines (throttle X2, clutch and brake)
Tornado Air cleaner
Chrome OEM Wheels

The following to be chromed
Master cylinder
Clutch Lever housing
Front caliper
Front rotor
Rear drive
Rear drum cover

New rear fender to try my hand at ABS body work

·
Registered
509 Posts
rear end polishing..

I just got a new drive unit from hamlings08, and he did an awesome polish job on it. I'll try and get a picture of it up tommorrow. It looks just like the chrome.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts