Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I started prepping my bike for the, not fast enough, up and coming riding season. And i found two places, one of which is on my muffler, that there is chipped chrome and a little bit of rust has come through. I took some steel wool to it, only to find out that it was, indeed, not chrome.

The second spot was up on the passenger back rest. My question is: What is the best method for stopping that from chipping anymore, and how can i get a little bit of a shiny look back on it?

Thanks,
Isaiah

·
Administrator
52,284 Posts
Use a fine metal polish, be wary of "chrome cleaners", because some of those formulas remove the polished surface.

Any polish which has fine enough grit, where You cannot feel the grit when rubbed between Your fingers, is usually the better way to go.

Flitz, or Simichrome, (two of My favorites), and I believe that "Mothers" formulates a good metal polish as well.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I use aluminum foil and softly rub the area to remove rust then use mothers chrome polish never had a spot it didn't work on

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will the metal polish work on a spot that has chipped chrome (they're fairly sizeable chips, not just little pocks.) I would say the one on the muffler is 1/16" of an inch wide and, maybe, 1/8" of an inch long.

·
Premium Member
6,696 Posts
How old is the bike in question?

I was looking at a brand new 2013 C50T at the bike show a few weeks ago, and the chrome on the back of the passenger pillion was "chipped" and "bubbled"! And this was on a bike on display for sale ........ brand new!

First of all, I would have had that replaced if I was showing it at a bike show, and secondly, "would that not be a warranty item anyway"?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How old is the bike in question?

I was looking at a brand new 2013 C50T at the bike show a few weeks ago, and the chrome on the back of the passenger pillion was "chipped" and "bubbled"! And this was on a bike on display for sale ........ brand new!

First of all, I would have had that replaced if I was showing it at a bike show, and secondly, "would that not be a warranty item anyway"?
The bike is a 2003 Volusia.

·
Premium Member
6,696 Posts
Obviously you're not going to get any warranty coverage :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts