Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These are from a Road King Custom. I had to relocate the passenger floor boards and am thinking of installing a luggage rack on the tour pak, it would be very handy at times but I'm not sure how it would look. The wife might also want arm rests, any suggestions?
What do ya think?

·
Premium Member
3,042 Posts
The bags fit nice.

If I remember correctly our bike is a tad longer than some HD's.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Unless she's related to Michelle Obama or Magilla Gorilla the bags aren't going to cut it as armrests. Are you going to fabricate something on the bag tops or go with armrests off of the trunk?

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unless she's related to Michelle Obama or Magilla Gorilla the bags aren't going to cut it as armrests. Are you going to fabricate something on the bag tops or go with armrests off of the trunk?
I was thinking of mounting them under the tour pak, ones that can swing out of the way and possibly be easy to disengage when not 2 up.
I did a search and couldn't find a solution.

·
Super Moderator
8,883 Posts
I think that looks great. (I have a great fondness for the look of Road King leather bags.)

If I find a place selling the sort of arm rests you want, I'll let you know. I know they're out there; I just can't recall where I've seen them.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Beez, Did ya get just a bit excited when you read the title?:biglaugh:

·
Premium Member
9,059 Posts
Nice set up!!

I gotta ask though,

Is the clearance good enough?
I wrecked one bag due to not enough clearance an I think I had more than this. Hate to see you wreck it. :blackeye:

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice set up!!

I gotta ask though,

Is the clearance good enough?
I wrecked one bag due to not enough clearance an I think I had more than this. Hate to see you wreck it. :blackeye:
What you can't see is the large concave area about 2 1/2"in from the side of the bag, I also removed the rubber perches under there for more clearance. I have more of an air gap than the H-D does but the exhaust tip is about 3/4" away. I also covered the underside with thick aluminum heat tape.
I will be keeping an eye on it, may need to put in an intermediate heat shield.

·
Super Moderator
8,883 Posts
Motiv, so far this one from Kuryakyn is the only armrest solution I've found that attaches the the trunk mount. It's HD specific, so I don't know how well it would work for you.

I swear I've seen somebody else make one like this ....

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Motiv, so far this one from Kuryakyn is the only armrest solution I've found that attaches the the trunk mount. It's HD specific, so I don't know how well it would work for you.

I swear I've seen somebody else make one like this ....

By reading your post was there supposed to be a link or picture?
I'll search their web site.
Thanks.

·
Registered
195 Posts
What you can't see is the large concave area about 2 1/2"in from the side of the bag, I also removed the rubber perches under there for more clearance. I have more of an air gap than the H-D does but the exhaust tip is about 3/4" away. I also covered the underside with thick aluminum heat tape.
I will be keeping an eye on it, may need to put in an intermediate heat shield.
Smart mods! I thought it was touching the exhaust. It's a very nice bag and trunk sets!

One of my saddlebag had partly melted plastic underneath from owner who hung it too close to his Vance and Hines pipes. I bought it from him for $100 and now it's hung a bit over 1 inches from exhaust pipe.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Looks cool, nice job
Don't know about the arm rest issue, just tell her she can massage your neck and shoulders if she wants to do something with her arms :)

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Tourest

There is a web site Tourrest.com that has passenger backrests WITH arm rests. They are made for H-D, so the problem is to find out which H-D bike has the same back rest frame/sissy bar as your bike.

The Tourrest by Hood Leather Goods

·
Registered
19,518 Posts
Be VERY careful about that tour pack. The luggage rack is only rated for a couple of pounds carrying capacity. The weight of the tour pack EMPTY exceeds that capacity. I had a similar set-up on mine, but nearly lost the tour pack AND my wife off the back when the welds on the luggage rack gave way and broke......

You need a heavy duty rear rack, not the bolt-on bling you have on there now. Voice of experience here.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts