Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok to check the coolant level, once you expose the jug it has two marks on it. The bike was cold and on the side stand it was right up to the full mark, but if I have the wife hold the bike level, it is just above the low mark. My question is which side stand or have bike level and if that be do I need to add just a little?
I hate that you have to take half the bike apart just to check the coolant, I just got this bike wife thought I'd lost my mind by taking half the panels off.

·
Registered
20,700 Posts
All fluids are checked when LEVEL.... Never on the side stand.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Question!! When the bike is cool(not running) the coolant level is low. But when the bike is up to operating temp, it fills back up to full…. Why??

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Question!! When the bike is cool(not running) the coolant level is low. But when the bike is up to operating temp, it fills back up to full…. Why??
Oil expands in volume when it gets hot. Maybe coolant does too. Cant say for sure cause I've never had a water cooled bike. Google would probably know.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Oil expands in volume when it gets hot. Maybe coolant does too. Cant say for sure cause I've never had a water cooled bike. Google would probably know.
Google brings me to this site and forums that Say blown head gasket but I don’t see any leaks or anything..🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
20,700 Posts
What are you checking? Are you opening the fill cap at the top of the radiator, or are you looking at the overflow tank on the side? The white tank on the left side is the overflow tank. It isn't supposed to be full. It will fill as the system pressurizes due to the heat it is drawing away from the cylinder head. If you do fill it while cold, it will overfill and vent to atmosphere once the system comes up to temp and pressure.

·
Registered
17 Posts
What are you checking? Are you opening the fill cap at the top of the radiator, or are you looking at the overflow tank on the side? The white tank on the left side is the overflow tank. It isn't supposed to be full. It will fill as the system pressurizes due to the heat it is drawing away from the cylinder head. If you do fill it while cold, it will overfill and vent to atmosphere once the system comes up to temp and pressure.
I’m checking the overflow. I let it run for about 20-25 mins while giving it steady revs. Never got an temp light. However, I did find out that the guy that had it before me ran it on one cylinder for a while. Got it fixed and it’s got white smoke coming out of the top tail pipe. No oil or coolant leaks.. the mechanic told me it wasn’t a bad head gasket..

·
Registered
20,700 Posts
The overflow tank is just that - overflow. It does not indicate the correct level of coolant in your system. To do that, you need to stand the bike up and remove the radiator cap when cold. If the system is full, you should see coolant just below the bend in the upper hose.

White smoke on start up is normal as you are burning off condensation inside the combustion chamber. White smoke from a hot engine IS a coolant leak.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts