Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any recommendations for a cheaper tachometer? One that doesn't cost me 100+ bucks and its not the size of a peanut?

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
As cheap as it's possible to get....well short of free.
Extremely old school tech for sure...but should work well with any engine that fires each cylinder on every revolution (two strokes, most non-computerized distributerless engines and unless i'm mistaken both eht volusia and the boully.)

Do take care when ordering a tach to avoid purchasing a "mechanical" tach as these will not work with any engine not equipped with a tach drive cable.

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Most tachs are for 4, 6 cylinders… not sure if they would work on 2 cylinders.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Here's a solution ---> http://www.volusiariders.com/54-general-motorcycle-discussion/220722-what-have-you-done-your-bike-today-47.html#post2239906
look at posts 921 & 929.

Here's a link to a single fire adapter --http://www.gadgetjq.com/single_fire_tach_adapter.gif

I didn't have any 1N4007 diodes, instead, I used a pair of 1N5408 diodes. Same voltage rating, but good for 3 amps vs 1 amp for the 1N4007.

You might find other single fire adapter schematics or instructions that say you can use similar diodes with lower voltage ratings. Don't do it. Make sure you use diodes rated for 1000v at a minimum of 1 amp.

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
Just be forewarned to make sure your tach. matches your bike. That is single fired or dual fired. If it doesn't match you'll fry your investment

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Just be forewarned to make sure your tach. matches your bike. That is single fired or dual fired. If it doesn't match you'll fry your investment
Unless I'm mistaken the signal from a dual fire V-twin should be the same as a single fire four...half as many cylinders firing twice as often.

·
Administrator
52,284 Posts
The Vol is dual fire, that is, it always fires both spark plugs, even though one piston isn't correctly positioned for combustion and presumably has no fuel waiting to compress & burn.
A dual-fire system needs only one pickup signal to the module, one signal from the module to the coil, and one coil, albeit with two outputs.

The Boully has a single-fire system, and by comparison, is equipped with extra intelligence in the module, plus two outputs from the module for two coils.

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
1 - 13 of 13 Posts