Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!
I’m taking the stock handlebars off my volusia and am going to add some 12” apes! I’m having a problem though with removing the left grip!
1). Does anyone know how to take off the plastic/fake chrome piece that sits under the rubber grip on the left ??
For some reason it’s not sliding off just by pulling on it. Is there a trick to it? It looks like it has a flathead type/shape groove in it-not sure if that’s for a special tool?
2). Also, does anyone have any good ideas for removing the rubber piece and washer that sit inside the tube that the end weight piece screws into? I need to then put those into the tube of the new bars such that I can screw the end weight onto the new bar.
Thanks!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
It has been a looong time, but I think if you screw the bolt back in a little bit, you can use it to pull those bits out of the bars. If you go too far, they will grab tightly, but should slide out when loosened. Hopefully the nut is still stuck in the rubber on the other side.

Bookmark this page: Volusia Service Book

From Ch. 7: http://www.jaycepatterson.com/Jayce/PinkBook/chassis_parte_191-210.pdf

Also to paraphrase @v0lusia, "Welcome to the site. Pull up a chair, the beer's in the fridge!"

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It has been a looong time, but I think if you screw the bolt back in a little bit, you can use it to pull those bits out of the bars. If you go too far, they will grab tightly, but should slide out when loosened. Hopefully the nut is still stuck in the rubber on the other side.

Bookmark this page: Volusia Service Book

From Ch. 7: http://www.jaycepatterson.com/Jayce/PinkBook/chassis_parte_191-210.pdf

Also to paraphrase @v0lusia, "Welcome to the site. Pull up a chair, the beer's in the fridge!"
Thanks!! Great ideas 💯 Any idea how to get the plastic left grip piece off?

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
I believe that plastic piece is the grip itself, it should be underneath the rubber all the way to the end and slide off once the end-weights are removed. It may be glued on too and need a few gentle taps from a BFH.
Anyone who has done this after 2005 feel free to chime in!

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have not, but I'm paying attention now, because I ordered some cheap clubman bars to put on mine and will be doing this soon!

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
Thanks Shawn. I definitely didn't remember that much of it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts