Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By my buddys gf's sporty 1200 i know i can get her off the line just from exp and havin ridden a 1200 before... But what how long you think before she catches and passes me?

·
Premium Member
7,988 Posts
how is the weight issue? how long is the race? how experienced are the riders?

i am around 300lbs and have beat a small guy (<160lbs) on a 1340cc HD on my volusia...... you leave alot to the imagination, and ask for a specific outcome.... lol..... out with the info

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
I raced a 1340 last summer. Stayed right with him through 3rd gear (hit the rev limiter twice :lol: ) I caught 4th a little sooner than he did, but when he did, it was like he reached over and turn my key off.............he was frikken gone!!
viper

·
Registered
12,595 Posts
472viper said:
I raced a 1340 last summer. Stayed right with him through 3rd gear (hit the rev limiter twice :lol: ) I caught 4th a little sooner than he did, but when he did, it was like he reached over and turn my key off.............he was frikken gone!!
viper
When you get that C90 final drive in, you could stretch 4th gear till he redlines. :lol:

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
v01rider said:
if you wana race, get a sport bike. this is an 800 not something that is gonna be super quick.
been there done that as i said its all in fun just wondering what the outcome might be in the end if anyone else has done this...

·
Banned
19,530 Posts
bmac said:
v01rider said:
if you wana race, get a sport bike. this is an 800 not something that is gonna be super quick.
been there done that as i said its all in fun just wondering what the outcome might be in the end if anyone else has done this...
there is no replacement for displacement. you might get em off the line, but in the end, a bigger displacement bike will win.

·
Premium Member
11,858 Posts
^^ or one with an extra gear - i smoke tanker's shadow until he hits 6th (overdrive), then he can walk away a bit...even though i have the edge in displacement (805cc vs. 749cc)..

cheers!

-mistress k

·
Administrator
29,689 Posts
All I can say is if you get beat by a girl, make sure you expire in a fiery crash...

1200CC bike vs 800 CC bike. You'd better pray she misses a shift or two.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
Mr. Efficiency said:
All I can say is if you get beat by a girl, make sure you expire in a fiery crash...

1200CC bike vs 800 CC bike. You'd better pray she misses a shift or two.

:biglaugh:

Dammit, I just lost a little coffee....and I'm in my uniform!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Based solely on the information provided, I'd have to go with the HD smokin you by second gear.
All things being equal, the HD should beat the Volsia off the line and every gear after that, but being that all things are not equal, I would assume something like this would be true:
You said "gf" so I'm assuming this is a she, chances are she's lighter than you.
A 1200 is probably heavier than the Vol by around 180 to 200 pounds. Hopefully you don't outweigh her by the same amount other wise the weight would be cancelled out. SO let's say you weigh 220 and she weighs 120. The combined rider/bike weight difference could be anywhere between 180 to 300 pounds.
A 1200 has nearly 2 times the power as a Vol so even if she were to totally bog first and not get a great start, as soon as she hooks up and rolls out first, if she catches second with any skill, she'll have you before you hit fourth.
If you happen to hang with her til fourth and she still hasn't left you, 6th gear will certainly leave you behind.

Still sounds like fun though.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I belive she is about my weight if not 10 lbs heavier... Ill make it a 50 ft race lmao... Come on you mean my LE flames OEM light bar unifilter and cruzers aint got for an extra billion HP?

·
Premium Member
14,449 Posts
If you are rejetted/remapped and more experienced you should get her at least part of the way though 3rd, after that you'll be watching her ass pull away so enjoy it while you can.

·
Registered
789 Posts
My buddy's gf has a newer model Sporty, rubber mount belt drive 5 speed. Her's is an 883 w/ aftermarket pipes and rejet. With him on it and me on mine, we're about dead even up until 60 or so... and an 883 will generally smoke a 1200 off the line. now if you have an 883 that's gotten the big-bore kit, THAT would put the hurtin to ya quick. Stock 1200 Sporty is damn doggy comparitively speaking.

I have Cruzers pipes K&N filter and rejet on a 2001 Vol just for comparisons' sake...

Where you win is you prolly paid less, and have more. After all, a Vol is waaaay cooler than an sporty. hehe.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thats what i seem to remember about my friends sporty 1200 was t hat it dogged in the low rpm but really started to pull later...

·
Premium Member
5,046 Posts
I rode with my buddy for 3 years almost every day and he had a 1200 sporty made in 2001. I was ALWAYS able to take him off the line, through first, through second and kissed his AZZ god bye in 3rd. He walked away with ease after 2nd gear. The 1200 has a better 3rd gear and it showed.
I think you'd be OK for a city block or two if you get the jump. Then just give up and go hide. :lol:
My buddy now owns a VMax and I own a Concours. I wonder what would happen there? I've ridden the VMax. It's scary fast but needs to hit that 6500 rpm mark before it'll happen. The Concours starts to run at 3500 rpm's and has longer gears. I'm thinking the VMax would take the Concours in the 1/4 mile because of that VForce intake though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts