Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

Cars Making Left-Hand Turns.....Why don't they see us?

5K views 44 replies 19 participants last post by  DCinCT 
#1 ·
One of the most dangerous situations a motorcycle will ever be in is when they come across cars making left-hand turns.

It seems simple enough, but these collisions make up 42% of all accidents that involve a motorcycle and another vehicle.

Why don't they see us? And how do we fix this?........ Any Ideas?

#38 ·
Might as well give this a little bump because it's still relevant.
@oldenslow pretty much had the answer.

For my 2 cents. I like to explain like this.
Your spouse said they bought milk, at the store. You look in the fridge for a gallon of milk. And it's not freaking there. So you ask. They walk in, say it's right here and grab the half gallon of milk sitting on top shelf. It was cheaper to buy 2 halves than one whole today. Why didn't you see the milk right in front of your face?
At my work when material is lost I often have to find it. I look at every tag of every item when I find it in obvious place the person almost always says "man I was looking for a xxxxx container"
So in short. Average people never learned to see anything but cars .

Wow that was long

#42 ·
find myself using a hi-vis vest when doing long distance traveling or on busier times..holiday weekends ...or just plain weekends in general...either too many people in a rush to get things done so they can enjoy the weekend or simply out in la la land while they are behind the wheel...been there...done that. Figure if the vest catches 1 persons eye who may just not have noticed, it was worth the moment it took to put it on. Also usually carry one in my saddlebag for when the days riding gives too many examples of people out to lunch. Ride safe all and never let your guard down.

#45 ·
nothing worse than getting cut off, then after you calm down, get your sense's back, rewind the situation and realize that maybe you were also responsible for riding in a spot where "perhaps" they couldn't see you...like stated above...get in, get out,,,don't linger...its not always the fault of the 4 wheels. Been there...done that...learning tool.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.