Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
They should limit the speed at which you can pass other vehicles, while lane splitting. I'm thinking 10mph faster, than the traffic you are passing, would be adequate.

Reactions: ByronW

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
They do. But who obeys speed limits, anywhere?
Well from the vids I've seen on boob-tube, they ain't enforcing it much. It's not legal in Oklahoma. Neither is filtering. So I don't have much first hand knowledge.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Our freeway shoulders up here are full of things I wouldn't want to subject my tires to.
We cannot lane split in Oregon, our legislature voted it in but our governor vetoed it.
On one trip down the California coast getting from Santa Cruz to Monterey where I had a room for the night, traffic was stop and go mid afternoon. I heard two HD touring bikes coming up behind me, and saw the cars splitting open like the Red Sea for Moses as they moved along at about 35 MPH. As they passed me I pulled in behind them and we moved through that mess in no time. If drivers are aware and accommodating it can be awesome when done at a reasonable speed.

not meaning to hijack this thread though.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
Our freeway shoulders up here are full of things I wouldn't want to subject my tires to.
We cannot lane split in Oregon, our legislature voted it in but our governor vetoed it.
On one trip down the California coast getting from Santa Cruz to Monterey where I had a room for the night, traffic was stop and go mid afternoon. I heard two HD touring bikes coming up behind me, and saw the cars splitting open like the Red Sea for Moses as they moved along at about 35 MPH. As they passed me I pulled in behind them and we moved through that mess in no time. If drivers are aware and accommodating it can be awesome when done at a reasonable speed.

not meaning to hijack this thread though.
Don't worry about it. Hell, I hijack my own threads.:D

·
Super Moderator
30,910 Posts
personally would like to see the left shoulder used for mcs to proceed but then car owners would I'm sure object.
Have you ever watched the shoulder? That's where all of the crap collects. I'd take my chances splitting been cars before I tried to ride on the shoulder.

·
Super Moderator
30,910 Posts
It's not the flat I'm worried about. I've seen household appliances sitting over there. Thanks, but no.

·
Premium Member
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50T
76 Posts
and not to go off the topic but just came back from visiting my son in San Diego where lane splitting is the norm...like the idea but not crazy at the way many of the mc riders ride at a high speed when using this allowable practice...personally would like to see the left shoulder used for mcs to proceed but then car owners would I'm sure object.
That scared the hell out off me the first time,,, we are in the parking lot of the the 605, and 3 croch rockets with like kereker headers, came screaming by at like 75. I ask an officer here in Norman about if the was legal or not and he said NO. BUT, they did pass some new laws for us that took effect in Jan. of this year. We can treat a stop sign as a yield sign and a stop like as a stop sign. Anyway just some FYI for OKIES.

·
Super Moderator
24,086 Posts
It's not the flat I'm worried about. I've seen household appliances sitting over there. Thanks, but no.
sounds like something many experience riding on any highway in the NY City metro area...

funny story while we are at it...years ago...back in the 70's while I was still living in NY... I was sitting in traffic on the Cross Bronx Expressway (Rt 95) just north of the George Washington Bridge...somewhere in the bronx...I notice a disabled car on the right side off the highway w/ no one around...don't really know how long it has been there...anyway ...while traffic creeps along, cab pulls up behind the car...4 guys jump out and within a few minutes, battery is taken and 2 tires are removed...guys throw tires in trunk and all 4 jump back into the cab and leave...wouldn't have believed it had I not see it myself...in broad daylight too. Get the feeling they probably came back for the other 2 tires too. A common sight also at that time...broken down car stripped on the side of the road.

·
Super Moderator
30,910 Posts
That brings up another concern about riding on the shoulder. There are spots where the shoulder is just wide enough for a car to get out of the way, but no room around it. Imagine riding that shoulder, coming around a curve and finding a parked car on front of you. Yeah, I'll stick to the area between the shoulders.

I have thought that they should create a bike lane between the left two lanes. A bit of width shaved off of the other 5 or 6 lanes could give them the space without having to widen the entire road. It would then be the responsibility of a car to check the lane when crossing it, just like a bicycle lane on a surface street.

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
A long time ago I drove school busses. I got rear ended 3 times in 2 years all while at a complete stop while letting kids on/off the bus. Ya gotta remember, this was long before cell phones. The reason? "I didn't see ya."
You DIDN'T SEE A BIG, BRIGHT YELLOW BUS, WITH A BIG STOP SIGN AND FLASHING RED AND YELLOW LIGHTS?!?!
People zone out, get lost in their own thoughts and forget they are driving. So, no, they really don't see you. It doesn't matter if you are on a scoot or in a bus. Ride like you are invisible......because you are.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
One of the most dangerous situations a motorcycle will ever be in is when they come across cars making left-hand turns.

It seems simple enough, but these collisions make up 42% of all accidents that involve a motorcycle and another vehicle.

Why don't they see us? And how do we fix this?........ Any Ideas?
I started ridding in 1971 on a 1956 Harley Panhead, foot clutch, shifter on the tank, left grip was the spark advance. I have ridden over the years many different bikes. On the quiet bikes, like my Goldwing I would experience drivers not seeing me. On the loud bike everybody sees me. The noise gets past there eyes and I have never had a problem when they hear me. That is why I am running after market straight pipes on my 2007 C50. Everyone sees me and they don't stay near me. I have a safety bubble around me.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts