Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't post much because, well, don't know much :biglaugh: but research this site for everything and anything related to the Volusia. Bought my 04 Volusia LMTD with 7819 miles from a local business owner. Bike sat for a few months. Ran good but hard to start even after a long ride. Changed air filter, then spark plugs to no avail. Dealer wanted to charge $598 for carb rebuild...yeah right. Researched and tackled the carb job myself. Stripped the float bowl screws....had dealership remove them ($57 :crying:) Cost $91 for new valve seat, main jet and holder, gasket and float bowl screws. Pulled it, cleaned and sprayed it. Installed new parts and it started up and ran like a champ.

Anyway, thank you all for your help and advice. I will post pics soon.

Regards

·
Super Moderator
3,197 Posts
Waytogo!!!! :applause:

Sounds like your on your way to giving others the benefit of your experience now.... :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
So ironically the bike will not idle properly all of a sudden. Rides great above 50 mph but starts to buck/hesitate as if it wants to shut off below 50mph. Idle is up and down and makes a clicking noise as if its going to shut off. Will idle with choke out though.

1. Plugs are new and look fine
2. Air filter is new
3. Carb was pulled and cleaned (see above)
4. Dumped old gas and refilled with fresh
5. Throttle snaps back in all positions.

I'm lost as to what it might be. Any help is greatly appreciated.....

·
Registered
19,499 Posts
Vacuum leak? Leak in the fuel lines? Rubber boot is brittle?

I mention that because ALL of the lines are supposed to be changed every 4 years. You're riding a 10 year old bike and I doubt that has ever been done. It may or may not correct the problem, but it is 1, important and necessary to do and 2, is really inexpensive. 3, it might actually help with the problem you're having.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did notice that the fuel line from the petcock to the ?pump? Was a bit cruddy when I looked through it. Blew air through it but don't think it helped much. Might be passing through to the carb? Clogged again??

·
Registered
19,499 Posts
Fuel line costs less than a dollar per foot. Buy new, put it on the bike. Same with the vacuum lines. Really easy, really inexpensive and really necessary based on the age of the bike.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Vacuum leak? Leak in the fuel lines? Rubber boot is brittle?

I mention that because ALL of the lines are supposed to be changed every 4 years. You're riding a 10 year old bike and I doubt that has ever been done. It may or may not correct the problem, but it is 1, important and necessary to do and 2, is really inexpensive. 3, it might actually help with the problem you're having.

Good Advice I doubt many actually follow the maintenance advice except for oil changes and valve adjustments. Reminds me of when I took my motor home into Shucks to have the brake fluid replaced and flushed as indicated by the maintenance schedule and asked the mechanic how often he preformed this service he said mine was the first time.:biglaugh:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Will be looking into replacing fuel lines, thanks.

What size (diameter) fuel lines would I need?

How many fuel lines are there to replace? 2?

Possible idle jet is clogged again??

Thanks guys....much appreciated!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Replaced fuel lines. Vacuum lines and plugs look fine. Still idles rough and stalls. Pulling the carb (again) on Monday and starting all over :(

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I know you said you cleaned the carb but I have found.
It pays to remove the adjusting screws and spray the screw holes with GUMOUT Carb cleaner to clear the gas passages of gum. There are others that work just as well but I have had good luck with GUMOUT spray carb cleaner.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
So pulled the carb out again and discovered that the washer and o ring from the pilot screw is missing. There was only the screw adjuster and spring. I never pulled the pilot screw the first time because there was a chip (affecting the threads) from when the previous owner drilled out the plug and I thought I would not be able to screw it back in. Could this be my problem???

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
UPDATE ... I ordered a new oem pilot screw, spring, washer and o ring. After a bunch of researching, I ordered a bigger pilot jet. 35 instead of the stock 27.5. Apparently this will help with my idling issue??

Thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Guess nobody replied because I was answering my own questions. #35 pilot jet, new oring, washer, spring and pilot screw...sprayed and blew air through carbs (again).....idles and runs like new!!!

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Good work. Enjoy the Ride.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts