Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't want to spend all day searching each one separately so I figured I would just ask. I have a 2003 Volusia 800

1. What is this? It is a plug located under my clutch lever. The bike works fine and I can't see any wires hanging.

2. Are the tank badges just glued on?

3. Where exactly is the Radiator cap?

4. Anyone know what tools are needed for the road? My bike came with no manual or tool kit. I am going to make a tool kit and wanted to know what all is needed. I know I need a 14mm for the oil plug and I think that is what the back seat is as well. I don't need to know what every tool goes to, just what tools I need.
1- Flat Screw Driver
2-Phillips Screw Driver
3- Ratchet
4- 8mm, 10mm, 13mm, 14mm, and 15mm socket.
etc.....

5. My speedo does not work. Does the speedo work off of of a cable going to the front wheel or off something inside the engine? Where should I start looking?

6. Is there a downloadable manual?

7. What type/weight drive oil does this bike take?

8. How many mpg is it supposed to get on the highway?

9. What PSI is best to run front and back? I assume whatever the sidewall says.

10. Anything I need to be careful of or watch for? Any common problems?

That's all I can think of for now.
:wayhappy:

·
Super Moderator
20,430 Posts
psi...manual calls for 29 front...36 rear...what I always kept them at and got good wear...

mpg...on my 04 which was also carbed...got mid 40's driving at a reasonable speed...

drive oil...used 75/90...to change that I believe you'll need a 21mm

problems...carbed models...04 and older...had no issues with my o4...took few extra miles to warm up in colder temps...

there is a downloadable manual..sure someone will direct you

good luck.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
1. Clutch safety switch, see the little hole in the switch housing beside of it? Should have wires coming out to plug in to clutch safety switch. Someone has rigged that one.
2. Yes
3. Under the fuel tank, but the overflow is under the lower left rear chrome cover, just make sure it is topped off and the radiator will draw coolant from there.
4. Buy a tool set for a VL800 off e-bay.
5.Speedo magnet in the front wheel, black housing on the right side of front wheel, It has ceramic magnet which the tabs are known to getting broken either by lack of lube or improperly installed from wheel. Make sure you get one for a 2001-2004 Volusia and Not a C50 2005-2009 it will work but it will make your speedo read twice as fast.
6. Yes, there should be a STICKY with a link on this site.
7. 75/90
8.Most should get around 45 MPG depending on modifications.
9. I run 36 front and 39 rear.
10. Only common problems are your speedo magnet as you are aware of, and extremely cold natured in cold months, Just run with the choke out 1 notch for a few miles and should be fine.

Oh yeah and you don't have a C50, you have a Volusia.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
1. Clutch safety switch, see the little hole in the switch housing beside of it? Should have wires coming out to plug in to clutch safety switch. Someone has rigged that one.
Is this a bad thing? Why would someone do that? Is it an improvement mod or was someone just too lazy to fix a real problem?
4. Buy a tool set for a VL800 off e-bay.
I don't have time. I am hitting the road in two days.
Where would the tool bag be on the bike? I might have one and just haven't found it.
If I don't have one, I need to build one asap.

5.Speedo magnet in the front wheel, black housing on the right side of front wheel, It has ceramic magnet which the tabs are known to getting broken either by lack of lube or improperly installed from wheel. Make sure you get one for a 2001-2004 Volusia and Not a C50 2005-2009 it will work but it will make your speedo read twice as fast.
Is this what I need? Pretty sure mine does not even have one. Does this go on the left side of the front wheel if you are sitting on the bike looking down?
04 Suzuki Volusia 800 VL800 VL Speedometer Speedo Wheel Sensor Pickup Pick Up | eBay

Oh yeah and you don't have a C50, you have a Volusia.
I thought the C50 was for the Boulevard not the Volusia but everything I google, search, or look up on Ebay for the VL800 brings up C50.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
I would thinks its bad, It is to prevent starting the bike without the clutch engaged. Can you imagine starting the bike in gear without the clutch pulled in?
Tools are located under the left side painted cover under the seat, with your key, remove the cover, and inside is the toolbox, open it and look for tools. For now just throw what you have listed as for tools in a saddlebag and ride.
Yes, that is what you need, BUT you don't need all of that, you just need the magnet, you can see it inside the black piece with the 4 ceramic tabs sticking out. You just need the piece that has the tabs.
No, its on the right side. Left or right when talking parts for cars or bikes or whatever is determined by sitting in the drivers seat.

34983-21E00 ROTOR,SPEEDOMET $21.29

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What is a C50, and M50?

I have a 2004 Volusia 800.
Is that a C50 or M50? Is it something else? VL800?
What are all of these different models and how do they compare to each other?

·
Super Moderator
3,197 Posts
What is a C50, and M50?

I have a 2004 Volusia 800.
Is that a C50 or M50? Is it something else? VL800?
What are all of these different models and how do they compare to each other?
Both the Volusia, (built 2001-2004) and the C50 Boulevard (2005 to present) are VL800 models.

There are "plain" vl800's with almost no accessories, the vl800T- a touring model and a "limited edition" vl800C - with a special paint job and a few accessories.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Get a metric Allen Wrench set with a built in handle that holds them all in place. I got mine for about $7 and have used it a lot.
+1
Lifesaver for those quick, on the fly fixes

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Both the Volusia, (built 2001-2004) and the C50 Boulevard (2005 to present) are VL800 models.

There are "plain" vl800's with almost no accessories, the vl800T- a touring model and a "limited edition" vl800C - with a special paint job and a few accessories.
So the C50 and VL800 are the same thing?
Meaning parts from an 06 will fit an 03?

Also.....
Where is the reserve on this? How do you know when you are almost out of gas?
I was riding yesterday and it got down to 1 bar. I rode for another 30 miles to try to get the reserve to kick in but never saw anything.
I got worried and filled it up.
Is there a fuel light that comes on? A yellow light or something?

Picked up the allen wrench set yesterday.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Not Really They changed them in 2005 So while they are still basically the same bike not all parts are transferable. Kinda like trying to put parts from a 68 vette on a 2007 vette while some my work, most wont fit.

No reserve, the last bar supposedly begins to flash at low level. I never took it that far so can't speak from experience.

What is a M50?
They covered the C50 in the previous post but left out the M50 which is the "Muscle" version. A little more towards street bike than cruiser.

·
Premium Member
6,301 Posts
There is not a reserve. It has the gas gauge (if at one bar and starts to flash, get to a gas station) but I suggest you use your odometer to keep track of miles also, in time you will know how many miles per tank. Take some time and read over the manual, you have been given the link. Enjoy the bike.

Yes, the Volusia and the C50 are both model VL800. A lot of the parts do transfer but a few don't, just check what year they are taking about before buying. Same bike, just renamed in 05. The M50 is a VS800, sportier version.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Volusia

Also.....
I was riding yesterday and it got down to 1 bar. I rode for another 30 miles to try to get the reserve to kick in but never saw anything.
I got worried and filled it up.
Is there a fuel light that comes on? A yellow light or something?

Yes, and no. The Volusia 2001-2004 is carbureted, and the C50 2005-up is fuel injected. Most parts will interchange, but some wont. The fuel tanks, and the frames are not interchangeable, The speedo magnets are not. MOST everything else is. If you have a ? as to fitment, just ask here before you buy anything.
There is no reserve. When you get to 1 bar and then it starts blinking, you better be close to a gas station. No low fuel light.

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
Is this a bad thing? Why would someone do that? Is it an improvement mod or was someone just too lazy to fix a real problem?

Well it's to make sure you have the clutch in when starting the bike - not sure why it was bypassed, maybe had an issue and this was an easy fix.

I don't have time. I am hitting the road in two days.
Where would the tool bag be on the bike? I might have one and just haven't found it.
If I don't have one, I need to build one asap.

The tool kit (if it is there) is in a compartment on the left side of the bike where you will see a keyhole. Use the ignition key to open it (quarter turn). Mine also had the manual in there which the previous owner did not know was there.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts