Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a free ‘02 800.
Couldn’t get the rear wheel to roll couldn’t find nuetral to save my life. Dead battery and no key (so far).
No amount of rocking and shifting helped me to get down to first and back up into neutral.
I had to drag it onto a trailer.
Shifter action felt very strange at first and “limited” like I couldn’t actually shift through most of the gears while rocking it back and forth
Not much I won’t tackle in the way of repairs but admittedly not sure where to start here.
TIA

·
Registered
19,502 Posts
Just how long has this bike been sitting. It sounds like the clutch plates are fused together from sitting for too long.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
3yrs I’m told. But I also see that it hasn’t been licensed in 12 yrs.
should I just be able to pull the clutch basket and get it rolling? I’d do that on the trailer ASAP before I unload it. Just picked it up today

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Clutch plates were stuck together, but with them all out, I turned the static bolt and rotated the motor freely (bike didn’t try to move) and the rear wheel still won’t roll. It has a tiny bit of movement and “clunks” to a stop. Feels like something is locked in the driveline somewhere.

·
Super Moderator
25,177 Posts
Kind of sounds like the drive shaft may be seized up. Good time to put in a DJ Drive if you can find one.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Clutch plates were stuck together, but with them all out, I turned the static bolt and rotated the motor freely (bike didn’t try to move) and the rear wheel still won’t roll. It has a tiny bit of movement and “clunks” to a stop. Feels like something is locked in the driveline somewhere.
Yuk.🤮

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2 issues were going on 1) the rear brake was locked up. I had to loosen the axle nut a little, remove the brake rod and the torque arm and just let the wheel and drum both rotate together.
2) I couldn’t find neutral because the shift rod had enough lateral play to allow the pawl to not engage. I tried to move the shift lever closer to the engine case to take up the slack but seems like it fits in one particular spot on the shaft. Perhaps I can use some nylon washer to take up the space and eliminate that lateral movement.
Any other ideas?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts