Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone - first time poster off Romania, where the motorcycle community isn't that large, so I found myself needing advice from a larger hive mind.

In the process of changing timing chains on my 2005, the mechanic has found some rather unusual problems - chipping in one of the camshafts (which also transferred to the casing), and slight cracks in the other, indicating it's about to give in too. Photos are attached.

My three questions are - 1. is it a common find? 2. what would a possible cause be 3. is there a fix for it (found on other forums reccommendations of grinding the edges soft and just reinstall it), or do i need to replace heads and shafts?

Thanks!
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust
Automotive tire Crankset Tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Tread Rim
Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Tire Coil Tread

·
Registered
21,278 Posts
Best guess is you have debris somewhere in the oil sump that is being circulated through the engine. No, that is not normal and the only fix is replace the cylinder head and cam shaft. There is no telling what damage is done elsewhere in the engine.

·
Super Moderator
33,888 Posts
Welcome from Kennesaw GA!

Sorry to hear about the bad luck on the engine. I wouldn't try grinding it myself, I'd replace it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts