Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking but can't find anything on the forums.
About how much would they charge me to put my bike in the shop and have the cam chain replaced?
It sounds horrible and I don't want to damage my motor. I can't afford a new bike and I figure paying $1000-$1500 is much better than running it into the ground and having to go on 4 wheels for God knows how long...

·
Registered
19,521 Posts
The parts are cheap. The engine has to be pulled and disassembled to change the parts. The labor involved is where it gets expensive. Figure $1500-$2000.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
I've been looking but can't find anything on the forums.
About how much would they charge me to put my bike in the shop and have the cam chain replaced?
It sounds horrible and I don't want to damage my motor. I can't afford a new bike and I figure paying $1000-$1500 is much better than running it into the ground and having to go on 4 wheels for God knows how long...
Just curious,how many miles on your engine? Sure it's the timing chain or adjusters?

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have just over 37k miles on the odometer, but that wasn't working when I got it and I have put about 2k miles on it since it broke this last time, so I figure somewhere around 40k miles.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
I have just over 37k miles on the odometer, but that wasn't working when I got it and I have put about 2k miles on it since it broke this last time, so I figure somewhere around 40k miles.
Fair amount. Rattling like a son a gun, right? Could be adjuster but no way to get there without tearing it all down. I'm at 60k and ready to do the same whether it needs it or not.

Found a parts bike with a low mileage engine and I will do that one and swap it in. That way my down time is only the swap.

Good luck and report your findings...

RV

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah it's rattling real bad. And I think I can here parts hitting inside, but my exhaust is so loud that I can't quite tell.

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
Last year I went to my local Suzuki dealer "Warhorse" located in Scranton PA. and asked about doing the cam chain over the winter. He looked up the prices of the parts and then advised me the cost for just the chain and tensioners would be between $900 and $1100 depending on what they found. But then he went on to say with the 66k miles I had on the bike and if he was going to get that far into the engine he would suggest new rings and possibly sleeves. Total cost would be around $1500.
Did I do it? NO. Why because my engine still sounds great. Will I be sorry? Stay tuned!

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine sounds like ****. I'm not even going to ride it till I get a diagnostic at least

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Sounds like a good idea!! Unless there's a lot of hidden mileage or engine abuse the tensioners shouldn't be going within your stated mileage.
I would agree.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts