Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike (2007 c50 49k km) is in the shop getting the valves check and the shop just told me the the cam chain adjuster is going and its going to be about $1600. Has anyone had this before and can anyone tell me how hard is it to fix?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Motor has to come out of the bike and disassembled. About as big of a fix as you can get.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I had a cam chain tensioner fail at 54000. broke the cam chain and broke the cam sproket. i did the repair myself and went ahead and replaced buth chains, both tensioners, the sproket and the gaskets and seals. Parts were about $750 and the moter gets broken down quite extensivley. I is a big job.
Unfurtunatly I will never know if I succeeded because as i was just finishing up the motor, I was burglarized and they took enough of the other parts that my bike is now totaled and not worth rebuilding.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
is this a norm thing to go on the bikes, it just seems like a hudge issue for a bike with 50k km on it. I was quoted $1600 to do the repair. now if i do it will i have another 50k before i will have to do it again or do i just look for a new bike and take the hit.

·
Registered
19,610 Posts
Cam chain failures are not a terribly common problem, but they can happen to ANY bike that uses a roller chain. Particularly engines with an overhead valve design. Any bike you care to name will begin to have maintenance issues as the miles pile on. It doesn't mean the bike is garbage, rather that it just needs to be fixed. Whether or not you fix it is entirely up to you, but ask yourself which is cheaper?$1600 for new cam chains or $10,000+ for a new bike?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I would take a close look at the the overall shape of the bike.Then figure out what the next big maintenance item will be.Then what I have into it as far as accessories that i could sell or put on another bike.Then decide if it's worth fixing.

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
I would take a close look at the the overall shape of the bike.Then figure out what the next big maintenance item will be.Then what I have into it as far as accessories that i could sell or put on another bike.Then decide if it's worth fixing.
yup, a sensible thing to do.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I lost the tensioners the second year I had my 05C50. Suzuki didn't want to cover it under the warrantee, but my dealer pushed back and got it done at no cost to me! I don't remember the exact quote, but it was like $1200 to $1500.

·
Registered
294 Posts
is this a norm thing to go on the bikes, it just seems like a hudge issue for a bike with 50k km on it. I was quoted $1600 to do the repair. now if i do it will i have another 50k before i will have to do it again or do i just look for a new bike and take the hit.
Another alternative to look into might be a low-mileage used motor....the trick is finding one at reasonable price. I have seen them out there in the
800.00 price range. I know that's not cheap and you may encounter other issues with a sued motor but something to consider.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Is it really that difficult to do? Maybe it is. I looked at the service manual. Looks like one needs to pull the jugs. A pain. On the other hand, if one of mine went I'd go ahead and pull down the top end of the engine, go through the heads, replace anything needed, get the valves seated, cc the chambers, etc. And put in new tensioners, new guides, new anything worn. Looks like a whole rather energetic and long morning to get the engine out and disassembled. Then some farting around and parts waiting time. Probably a morning to get reassembled and some afternoon grunting to reinstall the engine. Nice thing, then the condition is known and one can improve things a little sometimes.

Still doesn't look particularly fun. Last engine I did was a 4 cylinder Volvo. Just pulling the jugs on this one doesn't look too bad.

How heavy is the engine?

·
Administrator
52,649 Posts
How can they tell they're going without a tair down?
Place a wrench on the crankshaft rotor nut, and with valve caps removed, rock the crankshaft back and forth (slightly).
If the camshafts/rockers do not move accordingly, the chain is loose.....of course, there may be varying degrees of slack in cam chains.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Having spoken to the service manager today that is doing the work on my bike, it seems that it is not the adjusters that go, but the chains themselves. The adjusters don't have enough range to take up the wear in the chain. Apparently, there may be a mod can be made to the adjusters to increase the operating range of them to take up the excess wear in the chains, giving a longer service life. If I can find out what this mod is, I will let you know.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
It seems to me that cam chains failing at <50,000 miles (really, less than 100,000) is not a normal thing, and there is a problem with the design.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I would agree on the design, if failing is routine. My BMW car chain was fine before everything else caught up, with over 300,000 miles. The chain is only running 1 camshaft, and a short one at that. Seems lubrication wouldn't be a problem - slow running. But it is running in relatively thin oil once the oil breaks down in the clutch.

Possibly another reason to change oil often. Keep chains running in thicker fluid.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I've not been into one of these engines, but from the parts breakdown, it looks like the slack adjusters are spring operated only. Most cars have hydraulic adjusters which greatly reduce "slap" in the cam chains which can lead to premature failure.

If you search on this site, you'll find that ~50k is where these motors fail if they are going to fail. It is disappointing, but not surprising considering the recommended maintenance chart in the owners manual doesn't even go that far. It's as if Suzuki built a disposable bike. If I keep my bike to ~50k, I plan on tearing it down that winter for preventative maintenance. We shall see.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Haven't heard of very many owners here having a cam chain problem, and there are a lot of people here with more than 50,000 miles on their bikes....

1 - 20 of 32 Posts