Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
10,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to order a leather vest. I want to know the difference between "naked" leather and the regular stuff. I know it costs more and is softer from what I've read. Are there any other benefits of "naked" leather? (I'll be ordering from cyclesports leather, no doubt) Also, do you offer all of your styles in naked leather? Thanks.

·
Administrator
16,388 Posts
I can get all my vests is three different qualities or leather grades.

1. Pigskin, or in some cases on the vests only, lambskin. These are typically thinner, lesser quality leather. Usually about 1mm thick. I do not sell this grade of leather.

2. Cowhide Leather - usually 1.2-1.4mm thick. This is what all the vests in my site are.

3. Naked leather - 1.3-1.5mm thick, still made from cowhide, but it is drum dyed longer, and is typically a little softer. Prices are 33%-50% higher depending on the product.

Since your asking, if you do a search, I mentioned a few months ago on VR about the upcoming leather shortage that is expected to either raise the prices of leather signifacantly, or change the quality.

The leather suppliers are talking about trying to hold pricing, but are going to possibly make the leather a little thinner. if this happens, (as I expect it will, probably sooner than later), Cycle Sports Leather will be changing to offering all leather in only Naked leather.

We want our leather to look good, but it also has to serve it's purpose and protect should it need to. I personally wear what we sell.

We are actually targeting a period between Mid-May to June that we will be switching to all naked leather.

The leather shortage is expected to only effect the cowhide leather market, so those selling the cheap stuff will still be able to offer their pigskin jackets at low prices. Those that are selling quality will have to raise their prices.

Look forward to answering any more questions you might have.

~Jay

·
Banned
10,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Capt Cruiser said:
I can get all my vests is three different qualities or leather grades.
That's what I wanted to hear. Thanks, Capt. As I was looking at the styles I wondered if I could order them in naked leather. I look for quality rather than cost. I commend you on your decision to sell only naked leather if the scenario pans out. Brb, going to www.cyclesportsleather.com to pick out my new vest!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts