Here are some of my rules while lane splitting:
- Assume drivers are not paying attention to driving and are distracted. -- 50% are cell phone, 30% are texting, 15% distracted (reading, eating, smoking, kids, dogs, etc).
- Watch their front tires, if they are drifting left or right, they are not checking their mirrors and not watching where they are going. -- If their front tire starts wandering toward the lane markers, back off and be patient, wait for them to come to their senses and return to driving their vehicle.
- Stopped vehicles CAN NOT get out of your way, and stopped drivers may not be watching for you. -- Ride slow enough so you can stop at their bumper.
- Don't try and force your way through between vehicles. -- Cars, trucks and buses, don't give way. Your bike will give more and you will go down.
- Follow another biker at a safe distance even if he/she is going slower. -- A group will get through quicker than a single biker.
- Never ride faster than YOU are comfortable. -- You don't have to do 10mph faster than the cars you are passing.
- Ride slow enough to ALLOW DRIVERS TO SEE YOU and consciously choose to make room for you. -- If they don't, be patient, change into the adjacent lane when possible and pass them like you are a car.
- Don't startle the drivers as you go by them. -- Their reaction might be dangerous to you and others, including themselves.
- Don't look into the vehicles you are passing, watch the vehicles you are next to and the ones ahead of you. -- Pay attention to where you are going. Things change in a blink of an eye, and almost always for the worse.
- Follow a LEO motorbike whenever possible. -- Most drivers don't want to risk getting a ticket and will give way to a LEO.
- DON'T RAGE !!! - Don't flip them off. This will only escalate to violence and YOU WILL GET HURT. -- No broken mirrors, No silver dollar washers, No loose sparkplugs, No sharp objects down the side of their car; AND, ... no cussing, just be on your way. There is no reason for two stupid people to get into an argument. (Don't be the stupid one).