Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I done this bike on a budget, DIY most of the stuff. I couldn't afford a custom made tank, or try to make one myself without a lot of time and equipment. So my way around that, was to make a fiberglass cover, over a dummy tank.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Nope. It just isn't a rev-happy mill. It produces adequate power up to it's max right at 4k rpm, then the power and torque fall off fast. No real need for a rev counter, because there is so much feedback from the engine. When the vibes begin to creep in, its time to shift. It's funny that you mention the suspension being hard. With the extreme weight loss, I can only imagine the pogo-stick that you're riding on now...
Ok, so i didn't have a 160 main jet to hand but i did have 1.6 mm drill bit and decided that i would be unlikely to use the standard jet again. So drilled it out. Big difference, I can now say that the vibrations are getting more highly pitched. I feel that there is room for just a little more tuning, perhaps 160 +. But before i do that, i was just wondering what people are using or recommending for carb mounted air filters
I am also finding that selecting second gear isn't as smooth as selecting the other gears, it feels a bit "notchy" and not as positive Is this usual for the VL800?

·
Registered
20,605 Posts
The standard for a carb mounted filter was the Uni filter, but it does a shite job of actually filtering the incoming air. Once you've fixed that to the carb and dialed your a/f mix you're at the limit of your tuning options for this engine. Completely tuned, you're only looking at about 44hp. Big numbers if this were the 1950s, but pretty tame for modern bikes.

The transmission in the bike is a constant mesh gear train that shares the same oil bath as the engine lubrication. It is not anything that you would call smooth in operation. It is especially difficult to drop down from second into first after coming to a complete stop and there's nothing you can adjust to make it better. You just need to get into the habit of clutching and downshifting as you approach a stop.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
thanks again Skrapiron,
there seems to more of an issue going from 1st to second, but i think you are right a lot of this will be my getting used to the bike and its ways,

·
Super Moderator
4,663 Posts
This is stellar! Did you have to weld the mufflers on the headers or did you use some other workaround given that they're so tiny?
First post needs a hearty welcome.. Hearty welcome

Reactions: Danwiththevans

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
This is stellar! Did you have to weld the mufflers on the headers or did you use some other workaround given that they're so tiny?
Hello Dan,
the front cylinder right exhaust header is standard, I used a thicker diameter gasket and clamp to make up the joint to the pattern Norton Commando silencers. The rear cylinder was more difficult as i wanted a silencer on both sides to cover/ hide the swinging arm as much as possible and balance the look of the bike. I cut the rear cylinder header pipe short, fabricated and redirected another pipe down and around the back of the engine exiting the other side.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts