Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'Day, I'm a new member. I have just traded my old '04 C50 on the new C90T B.O.S.S. less than a fortnight ago. I've just clocked up 1500k and she had her first 1000k service yesterday. I got overly keen today and bashed a 15mm hole in the first baffle of the top & bottom pipes. Hasn't made any difference to the sound at all. I'm thinking of drilling holes into the back plates. Any thoughts? Would appreciate any advice.

Cheers,
Shwoohead

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
Welcome new member.

The subject of drilling pipes is one that used to get talked about a lot, but not so much as of late.

I'm not one to shout out "do a search" but it's too late tonight for me to look for you.

Use our search feature and look for "drilling" "drilling pipes" or one that I know of that was very popular was "honest abe mod".

Good luck, hope you find the sound your looking for.

·
Registered
670 Posts
4 half inch holes in each pipe. That's pretty much it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers 472Viper appreciate that. She's such a chunky beast I think she should sound the way she looks.

·
Registered
670 Posts
My bike is a bit louder than it was originally, but like that thread says, it leaves you wanting more! I don't have the exhaust yet because my next priority for mine is putting a dj drive on my bike. I want to take my bike to Rolling Thunder in DC this year, so I reckon I need it for all the highway driving it's gonna take. I am also working with a buddy to put a slave tank in my saddle bag to increase my milage to about 250 miles at least.

·
Registered
818 Posts
G'Day, I'm a new member. I have just traded my old '04 C50 on the new C90T B.O.S.S. less than a fortnight ago. I've just clocked up 1500k and she had her first 1000k service yesterday. I got overly keen today and bashed a 15mm hole in the first baffle of the top & bottom pipes. Hasn't made any difference to the sound at all. I'm thinking of drilling holes into the back plates. Any thoughts? Would appreciate any advice.

Cheers,
Shwoohead
Hi from Melbourne....

With the new laws in Qld you don't want to do anything you can't reverse.

I drilled 8 holes in the back plate on my standard C50 pipes and made a plate to cover them back up if need be.

In the end I bought a set Turna Pipes from Peter Turner in Slacks Creek, if you're down that way drop in and see what he can offer.

Check out the local site......strange mob but none of them bite, much, no really......

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
I too have a C90 and spend time on the C90/LC1500 forums on Delphi Forums. The exhaust system is apparently quite different than for a Volusia/C50. I loved the sound from the Honest Abe mod on my Volusia and wish I could get it again on my C90 but I'm told that it doesn't work on a C90. It makes a tinny sound. The only real option seems to be aftermarket pipes. Gary at Gman industries has developed an apparently terrific exhaust system for the LC/C90. It's relatively quiet at idle but goes loud and deep with the throttle and the performance is better than with any other aftermarket exhaust. If I had the cash I'd definitely go that way.

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
What is a dJ drive Lightwield?
No need to worry about it, you already have one.

DJ drive is a modification to C50/VL800 where we take a final drive off a C90/VL1500 or VS1400 and install in on the smaller bike. Changes final drive gear ratio and helps the 800 from winding so tight at hiway speed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Ozrider,
Cheers for that. Last night I broke out the Makita hand held and drilled 4 holes in each plate. I was surprised the difference in volume. At idle she now voices a loud low deeeep thud. Under acceleration she looses the "V Twiness" I guess this down to the packing in the muffler. The snap of each fire is caught way down the front of the muffler and not at rear exit. All that said she sounds much better and now has her own audible voice. My old C50 had straight throughs and was blacked out. Great looking bike that looked and sounded as nasty as all f$&k. Getting older and happy for this one to be a bit "Gentlemanly"
Thank You for your help.
Shwoohead.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you Midnight, Wood Welder and Viper for your responses. Love the motorcycle outside a shrinks office tag. True Viper bout the gearing on the C50. I didn't know that was an option. Big change going the tall gearing on the Boss. Takes a bit of getting use to. On slow tight turns she really wants to be in first like roundabouts and cnrs signed 20 & 40. For the rest 2nd & 3rd carve the corners up nicely. She behaves very well, I touched the pegs down for the first time the other day no trouble at all.

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
A metric cruiser is going to do everything a Harley will do and it will do it cheaper.

The Harley has some inherent design quirks that one just has to put up with, and yet the Harley satisfies in a way no other bike has.

The Harley feels like the bike an awful lot of other bikes are trying to be. I'm very very satisfied with mine. I don't know if I'd ever go back to metric (I still own the C50). But there are definitely some things you have to be willing to put up with. And they are NOT cheap.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Viper,
I concur!
Eventually I see myself on a Street-Glide but that's probably 2 bikes away. I really like the Yammy Road-Liner. In a perfect world I would have a Street-Glide, a hand built Shovel Bobber and a Duke Sport 1000......dream on.
For now the Japanese predictability & price are big factors in the decision making process. The Boss is a big investment for me. I love the bike and that's what matters.
Thanks for your response.
SWH

1 - 20 of 23 Posts