Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a new bike. I traveled to Alaska on KLR, to Newfoundland on a Vstrom 1000. During the Alaska trip, I was always worried about a flat in the middle of nowhere. Working on the side of the road helicopter size mosquitos would not have been fun. The trip to Newfoundland with the Vstrom solved that problem with tubeless tires. However, last summer I dropped my Vstrom and for the 1st time in my life (I'm 72) I couldn't pick up that top heavy bike myself. I could, however, pick up my son's cruiser style bike.

I spent quite a bit of time looking for a c50. The c90 with it's tubeless tires and dual disk brakes up front and single disk on the rear seems to be the solution.

Any of you seniors have a comment on my thinking. I usually travel alone, usually on days or many weeks at a time in isolated places. My next trip, I hope, will be to Alaska again or to Yellowknife.

Thanks, KorKoro

·
Registered
21,043 Posts
The C90 is 695lbs with a full tank of gas and fluids. Once you load up with travel kit, extra fuel, luggage, etc you're going to be closer to 900lbs. I ride a CTX1300, which is about 30lbs heavier than the C90. When empty, if it goes down, I cannot lift it by myself, no matter what I try.

You need to find a bike closer to the 400lb range, such as going back to the KLR or BMW 850GS, which even though it has laced wheels, runs tubeless.

Reactions: beezer

·
Registered
365 Posts
I'm 68, bought an 03 Intruder 1500LC new, my wife and I put 50K on it in four years all over the western US and Canada. then she informed me she was tired of spending days and days on the bike, and I should continue my trips solo, I traded the LC for an 07 Vstrom 1000. I loved the handling and versatility. It was totaled by a pickup, had an 08 650 Vstrom, sold it, got a '12 650 Vstrom, sold it to buy the '14 Vstrom 1000 I have now. I have always missed the old LC1500. I found an 08 C90T in Tacoma last November at a great price so I drove up and rode it home. Great bike for local trips, 2 hour rides to the coast, etc, but I've kept the Vstrom for touring. The Vee holds 5+ gallons at 45 mpg, the C90, 3.7 at 38. With the cruiser, I'm looking for gas at 100 miles, when touring, I'll ride a couple hundred miles before breakfast, and (almost) never worry about where or if I'll find the next gas station. The Vee is heavy and the weight is high up, but the C90 is heavier, and has no suspension for anything but good paved roads. Potholes are jarring, forget gravel or dirt roads. The trips you mention may not be that enjoyable on an 800 + pound bike. If your main consideration is tubeless tires and good brakes, there are many choices out there, even a 650 Vstrom, or small scrambler, smaller cruiser with tubeless tires, versys, or find a partner to ride and travel with. being alone in isolated places is dicey, I dropped that 2012 650 in some knee deep dust off road in Utah one summer, pinned under one of the Givi sidebags, and considered myself lucky to get out of that without a broken leg or ankle. I don't venture that far off the traveled roads when alone anymore.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Don't have any suggestions to share, but interested in answers here. I'm starting to eye the C90 as an upgrade to my C50 that keeps me in the Boulevard family for fit and feel.
Not looking to hijack KorKoro's thread...at all. But I am wondering what year the radiator was added the the C90?

·
Registered
388 Posts
I can still pick up my C50 (although I'm very careful of dropping it) but if I'm touring, I'd have to remove the luggage first. I found this out first hand. 😬
It's not easy and I have a bum left leg, but if I'm motivated enough, I can still get 'er done.

So far.

I'll be 68 this year. :sneaky:

My biggest concern is tubed tires. It's easy enough to plug a basic puncture on a tubeless tire and get back on the road. The one time I got a flat, I had to wait for a tow to a dealership and wait even longer there for the repair. If another hour had passed before the tow showed up, I wouldn't have got to the dealer before they closed and would have had to found a nearby hotel for the night.

I really like my C50, but if I ever get another bike, tubed tires will be mandatory.

PS: I know that there are processes to convert tube tires to tubeless. I guess I should look intro that.
PPS: I carry a bottle of slime in my saddlebags that for , I guess, bicycle tires. It's supposed to be good for tube tires in general, but I hear it's a crap shoot. It's all I got for now.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As far as the mileage goes, I plan to get the Gman extra tank. I like riding alone, so that's not going to change. I like getting up in the morning and not knowing where I'm going next. Hard to do that with another rider, or worse, a group. I believe the issue with picking up a bike will be easier with all that down low weight on the c90. I could find out differently, but for the time being I'll risk it. I'll not have another tubed bike. I hate the thought of replacing a tube long side a road.

KorKoro

·
Registered
21,043 Posts
Even with the Gman tank, you're limited to under 200 miles with the C90. You're going to find out very quickly that it is a pain to get back upright once it is tipped over. You may want to invest in crash bars, which will limit how far it will fall over and can be used to help lever the bike back up. Good luck with your adventures.

Reactions: Geo Mc

·
Registered
365 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Even with the Gman tank, you're limited to under 200 miles with the C90. You're going to find out very quickly that it is a pain to get back upright once it is tipped over. You may want to invest in crash bars, which will limit how far it will fall over and can be used to help lever the bike back up. Good luck with your adventures.
I

It appears with a 2.5 gal. Gman I would have 6.3 gals. At 40 mpg, which is below the "fuelly" average, I would get up to 250 miles on a tank. I, typically, get better than average mpg because I'm slow. I'm looking at bikes that have crash bars. If I get one without, I'll quickly add them.

KorKoro

·
Registered
81 Posts
As far as the mileage goes, I plan to get the Gman extra tank. I like riding alone, so that's not going to change. I like getting up in the morning and not knowing where I'm going next. Hard to do that with another rider, or worse, a group. I believe the issue with picking up a bike will be easier with all that down low weight on the c90. I could find out differently, but for the time being I'll risk it. I'll not have another tubed bike. I hate the thought of replacing a tube long side a road.

KorKoro
Is Gman making these tanks again?

·
Registered
21,043 Posts
Is Gman making these tanks again?
That's a good question, given how niche the market for the tanks was in the first place. When Suzuki redesigned the C90, that kind of killed his line of business.

To the OP, what cruiser did you pick up? A C50, or a C90? If you based your decision on the C50, you have to be aware that the C90 is over 100lbs more than its little stable mate.

·
Registered
21,043 Posts
As I thought, the GMan tanks are out of stock and haven't been produced for nearly 2 years.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm on my way to Michigan after spending the winter in Florida. I'm going to start making offers when I get back to Michigan. I'm leaning towards the c90 right now, mainly for the tubeless tires and disc brakes.

KorKoro

·
Registered
725 Posts
While I like the concept of C90, and the looks of C50, those might not be the best choice for the type of riding you are planning to do, especially coming from adventure styled bikes.

You should really look into BMW... R1250R or R1250RS, or previous generation R1200R/RS. On paper these bikes are heavy, however, the center of gravity is down low, lower than almost any other bike, and average fuel economy on highway is 40-50 MPH, unless you are very throttle happy. You should easily push past 200 miles on one tank of gas. I easily get 200 miles of my R1250R on highway. I did drop the bike in the garage once, and it was not a problem at all to pick it up. You can get a previous model R1200R or RS under $10,000 in very good condition with low mileage, and those are even lighter.
Depending on your stature, a BMW with a boxer engine will be almost perfect. RS has a sportier seating position, R is slightly more relaxed. Aftermarket is almost as plentiful as a Harley Davidson motorcycles.

2015-2018 R1200R weights about 510 pounds. Side cases obviously would add weight, true of any bike.

Here is an example of $9,500 for a fully loaded machine with low miles. Looks like it comes with BMW navigation (made by Garmin), electronic suspension and etc.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts