Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI i was sitting at a red light the other day it was hot and my bike was really hot got to thinking ..can you or should you put some sort of fan behind the oil cooler to maybe help cool the bike at idle.is there something in the after market ..What do you think.

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
you could get a large computer fan, some wire and mount the fan somehow and tap into the thermometer so that when it is open the fan works.
Or more primitively use a switch to turn it on.

just a starting idea similar to one for a BMW RT which are oil cooled.
The Police versions already have a thermo fan.

·
Banned
24,655 Posts
Go for it Vulch.

·
Registered
291 Posts
So you think the C90 is hot riding....Have you rode a HD lately. And no the bike does not need a fan in front of the oil cooler. HD does make a blower that sits on the side of the cylinders where the C50 air filter is if you need to keep your legs cooler while stopped.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for replies .anyone know what the engine temp should be is there a max temp it should run no matter what the outside temp is .i have a infrared thermometer if i take the temp at the rear cylinder exhaust port its off the scale compared to the front. to get an accurate temp of a cylinder where would i point the thermometer..ps i know theres a joke there...

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
someone on the site had replaced the radiator with two oil coolers a while back. may need to do a search and ask him how he had tapped into the system

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
moderator gary.
it was on a totaly re-customed bike he did.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you ever add the fan???

I ride a c90 in hot weather too. Ls Cruces NM. It often reaches 100° here. ... ... I will probably replace My stator and rectifier a 3rd(?) time now! I've only had this bike for 3 years!! Coinsidense?? That's a new stator Every Summer. This is ridiculous!! & When you look at the stator, you know it's because the bike is running hot.

(Idling Under the sun can certainly over-heat an AIR-Cooled bike... it's not water cooled! This is literally why California implemented the lane splitting law.)

Mine Rode through fall winter and spring just great. But (this year), by Independence day it was just a Bit hesitant to start... by the end of July it isn't Charging at all.. and the battery needs to be charged for an hour before riding.. ... now I need a new battery again... (luckily I have reconditioned one sitting on the shelf) .. but a new regulator, stator and battery will probably soon be in order...

I've started lane filtering this year... I feel like it has really helped.. (not a common practice in my town.... or state.. .. people yell at me! but it's not against the law.) Because if lane filtering tho, (I believe) The stator has lasted most of the summer this year.. unlike prior years I've had this bike..

A few times this week I decided not to lane filter, the bike got quite hot between the legs. Yesterday; I needed the jumper pack. (luckily I was at home.) Today; the battery won't take a charge.

.. I remember that the second time I needed to replace the stator, it was really hot outside. But the first time I had to replaced the stator was in June, It was SO HOT Outside. I remember it like it was yesterday, suddenly started dying without the accelorator... I was at a red light.. & I had to push it to the shoulder.. ( I looked ridiculous -- pushing this bike, in silky Cut-Off pajama shorts, it was the only thing I had, that I could wear with a cast like boot.) I was exhausted and even dropped the bike when I couldn't get the bike to roll over the parking-lot entrance. The engine only started after cooling down a little, but died again shortly after. Fully cooled down, it started fine when I came back with a jumper pack. I remember it was the beginning of June, because I was still using my crutches for a healing (broken) ankle, and still in "The big boot." It was 2 weeks after returning home. And the clutch in my pickup was too heavy for my ankle, and the boot didn't fit under the steering wheel. But Uber rides (.... and the airplane,) were getting expensive, and I was still out of work!!! So... I started riding again
And The 2 weeks of AirB&B and Uber rides, being all I could afford... .. .. It was the day I got the keys to my apartment.... for those 2 weeks the bike ran great... but the battery just slowly drained.. needing a charge every day.

(I'm having the same issue now... .... again.)

How it all ties together, ... I'm pretty sure the stator in this bike would do better... (in hot climates) with a fan on the oil cooler!

·
Registered
967 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts