Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
And the gap we're talking about is housing to wheel?

Also, Viper, do you still believe shortening the u-joint is the way to go regarding shaft length? If you think machining the shoulder back (and taking down the tip) would be better I could go that way.
The preferred method for modifying the driveshaft would be to reposition the shoulder. The u-joint shortening was done when the person did not want to go the machinest route.

·
Registered
674 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Please Provide more details

Dear Viper
Thank you very much for the awesome info and know-how.
I'd just like to have some more details from you regarding the same. As I'm not in the US and need to do the MOD.
What are the measurements to modify the C90 shaft? and the lenth of the spacer and the bushing?
Kindly advise.
Thanks again

·
Super Moderator
58,110 Posts
Dear Viper
Thank you very much for the awesome info and know-how.
I'd just like to have some more details from you regarding the same. As I'm not in the US and need to do the MOD.
What are the measurements to modify the C90 shaft? and the lenth of the spacer and the bushing?
Kindly advise.
Thanks again
Viper is very helpful and knowledgable. PM him as I don't think he's unapproachable.

·
Administrator
52,611 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
This is a great write up but no details on the C90 bearing plate (metal gasket) used as a pattern between the drive and the frame mount. Did you buy a new one. Parts diagram show its a 2 part "gasket". Not sure I'm clear on this one step. Would this be the part #
.PLATE, STOPPER 27313-38B00 and .PLATE, STOPPER 27313-38B10

This is based on this parts blow up from 2003 VL1500 items #5 and 6:
https://www.suzukipartshouse.com/oemparts/a/suz/50d35cccf870021ee02151f1/propeller-shaft-final-drive-gear

Appreciate any help regarding this - trying to get my C90 unit installed But this is holding me up. Would like some clarification.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
This is a great write up but no details on the C90 bearing plate (metal gasket) used as a pattern between the drive and the frame mount. Did you buy a new one. Parts diagram show its a 2 part "gasket". Not sure I'm clear on this one step. Would this be the part #
.PLATE, STOPPER 27313-38B00 and .PLATE, STOPPER 27313-38B10

This is based on this parts blow up from 2003 VL1500 items #5 and 6:
https://www.suzukipartshouse.com/oemparts/a/suz/50d35cccf870021ee02151f1/propeller-shaft-final-drive-gear

Appreciate any help regarding this - trying to get my C90 unit installed But this is holding me up. Would like some clarification.
I'm tellin' ya Floyd....

Reactions: floydrturbo

·
Registered
53 Posts
From a logical prospective, there is no fluid in this shaft housing just the moly paste and the universal joint and it obviously should be kept dry and dust free from road dirt and rain so I would think you could reuse the seal, gasket or whatever you call it. But the drive I purchased has a black hard gasket on it and that's it. The diagram sort of references a 2 part gasket which is confusing me. With all the discussion and minutia discussed with this installation I'm surprised this hasn't been discussed before. Seems to have been glossed over. Hate to beat this like a dead horse but maybe I'm making more of a deal out of it than necessary.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Hate to beat this like a dead horse but maybe I'm making more of a deal out of it than necessary.
You are. It's just one piece.
I used a little blue RTV just to be sure of the seal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Please help!!!

i have a 2007 C-90 i bought a new back tire thought i'd save a few dollars and put the new tire on myself.i had never worked on a shaft driven bike before,after removing back wheel i pulled the final drive out of the drive line tube,install new tire.and put drive shaft back in tube tightened up the three bolts put back wheel on and finished up.started the bike everything seemed normal until i pulled the clutch in and put the bike into first gear and tried to take off.i heard a vary loud clanking noise,as if the drive shaft was flopping around inside the tube.i very quickly shut off the bike.and have been searching for answers and solutions ever since.ive worked on motorcycles the better part of 40 years im no dummy except in this matter im lost.HENCE plz Help.Thank you... FRANK THOMPSON

·
Registered
20,370 Posts
Sounds like you didn't get the drive shaft fully seated in the u-joint. Using a broom handle to get the u-joint lined up with the tube is the easiest way I've found. It can still be trying but better that just shoving it in and hoping it lines up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you.

One would think common sense would have pushed me in that direction but it did not.so going on what you just told me,im thinking there has to be a female u-joint that must move around inside the drive shaft tube?can i get to it if i take the cover off the CHROME PLATED COVER on the left side??

·
Registered
20,370 Posts
Let's start by asking, when you put the shaft forward, did the 3 bolts sit all the way up or was there a small gap between the bolt plate and the mount? If there was even an 1/8" gap, your shaft wasn't seated all the way into the u- joint.

·
Administrator
16,333 Posts
Look down the tube with a flashlight. Use a broomstick handle to line it up. Your not engaged, hence the noise. Drive should go all the way to the flange if it's installed correctly.

·
Premium Member
9,059 Posts
Probably been asked before and I missed it........why are all the pictures blurry?

41 - 60 of 60 Posts