Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Yup, and all the shorter one will do for you is close the gap alittle between the final drive case and the wheel hub.

The hope is that it doesn't close it so much that the hub rubs on the backing plate bolts.

Take alook at your bearing when you have the wheel off.

If it's flush with the hub, I'd try the shorter spacer, if it looks like it's pushed alittle deeper than the edge of the hub, the longer spacer may be in order.

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Hey can you get me a measurement on it?

And I don't know if they are all gonna be the same.

I am using the same spacer with my cast wheels as I used with my spoke wheels, and I think the variance is in the depth at which the left side bearing is pressed.

·
Premium Member
2,859 Posts
I took 2mm off the VS1400 bushing that came with my drive - on my M50 it worked fine.. no rubbing --cast wheels

·
Registered
66 Posts
The spacer I received is 2 15/16" according to my tape measurer. For reference, that same rule measures ~3 1/16 for the stock part. Since it is metric this doesn't line up exactly. However, the unit from Aric does. If you want pictures of the two side by side I can take them tonight.

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
No, that's fine.

Sounds like Aric is allowing an added 1/16th inch for cast wheels.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Hey I see this thread recieved a sticky, just want to say thanks.
No...Thank you Viper. Job well done. I hope to be installing the mod very soon. I have already learned tons from this forum. I am not at the point where I can contribute much but pretty soon I should be able to put together an...."Expensive lessons learned on things not to do to your Suzuki".... and "Things not to do around or above your your Suzuki while parked in your garage".

Cheers and have a great weekend!

·
Premium Member
2,859 Posts
and..........
***Caution- Reading posts on this forum may contribute to contagion of the dreaded Moditis Virus!***
If affected with this virus- Contact EBAY, Kuryakyn, or fellow VR members for a treatment and help with symptons as there IS NO CURE!

·
Registered
988 Posts
and..........
***Caution- Reading posts on this forum may contribute to contagion of the dreaded Moditis Virus!***
If affected with this virus- Contact EBAY, Kuryakyn, or fellow VR members for a treatment and help with symptons as there IS NO CURE!
Hey Dave...lol....I think I better start a whole new thread about that.
:crying::moneyeyes::moneyeyes::moneyeyes: the second third and fourth smilies were the dealers when they saw me coming.:biglaugh:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Quick question about greasing the splines.

Is it best to use Moly grease? or will Moly paste work?

I tend to use moly paste for most things since it's mostly moly (MoS2) and some grease vs mostly grease and some moly.

The way I was taught it is, especially with high temp applications, if the grease content of the paste dries out or suffers a breakdown, there is more moly left behind coating the parts preventing direct contact.

·
Registered
16 Posts
No, that's fine.

Sounds like Aric is allowing an added 1/16th inch for cast wheels.
So this is based on a stock spacer, shaved 2mm, but if you have cast wheels you shave 2mm-1/16"? Crikey.

I have a '14 BOSS w/ cast wheels and I really thought I had the mod figured out until I hit this. Now I'm just confused. Viper, it sounds like you almost thought the stock spacer would do the trick for a moment. Plus it may vary depending on how deeply the outer bearing is pressed?

What's the safe way to go? Maybe grind off a couple thousandths? Or maybe just keep taking off a thousandth at a time until it mates up?

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
The length of the spacer is predicated on the position of the bearing. The way to go is to mate the drive assembly to the wheel assembly and measure the gap. Then remove as much as your comfortable. As not all bearings are pressed in to indentical depths, a spacer length should not have been published. What works for one does not always work for another.

·
Registered
16 Posts
And the gap we're talking about is housing to wheel?

Also, Viper, do you still believe shortening the u-joint is the way to go regarding shaft length? If you think machining the shoulder back (and taking down the tip) would be better I could go that way.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Quick question: Does moving the position of the rear wheel bearings require a press or can they be tapped on the outer surface? I haven't taken mine apart yet.
Thanks,
superchet

·
Premium Member
12,258 Posts
Quick question: Does moving the position of the rear wheel bearings require a press or can they be tapped on the outer surface? I haven't taken mine apart yet.
Thanks,
superchet
By placing a socket the exact size of the bearing, it is possible to tap it in further with a mallet? Be very careful not to over do it and cause damage.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts