Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This bike has 725 miles on it!
Nothing comes on when I turn the switch on.
Charged the battery all night, checked all the fuses, wiggled wires, checked kick stand and cussed. Nothing!
Bike has been running just fine and I had the initial service at 650 miles ($347.00 worth)
Any suggestions before I call the dealer to come and get it?

·
Premium Member
6,707 Posts
Check the "kill switch". Maybe you turned it off by mistake.

·
Premium Member
6,707 Posts
So, still "no start"?

I'm suprised no one else has chimed in with suggestions.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
What year is it?
Check main 30 amp fuse under seat.
Even though you charged the battery, it could still be bad.
The ignition switch on these bikes is known to fail.
If NOTHING comes on with the switch turned on, it is not, the kill switch or kickstand switch, It is either a bad battery, a blown main fuse, or a faulty ignition switch.

·
Premium Member
6,707 Posts
Being a "brand new bike", and on a charger, "Yes", I'd check the main fuse under the seat.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
won't start

Have checked ALL the fuses.
Went to dealer this a.m. and they are scheduled to pick it up Monday.
I charged the battery overnight and put it back in first thing this morning and it was still dead. No lights, no clicks, no bangs ,no thuds <g>
At this time I'm leaning toward the ignition switch. I have a manual on this and someone else posted on how to change it but with only 700 miles I say it's Suzuki's problem. I'm just glad it happened at home and not out on the road.
I'll post when I get it fixed.
Other than this I have no problem with the bike, it runs good and is just the right size for an old geezer like me. I want to get any bugs worked out before I take off on a cross country cruise.
Thanks for the responses

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Seems like a manufacturing defect or rare infant mortallity. You did the right thing with letting the dealer fix it. :wayhappy: Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It happended to mine while riding and lost all lights. It didn't kill the motor, but wouldn't start after I turned the bike off

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
It is called a clutch safety switch, And it's only there to keep someone from starting the bike without the clutch pulled in. It has nothing to do with lights, and no it won't kill a running motor, and yes, if bad or dirty it will keep a bike from starting. Usually a shot of WD-40 or similar lubricant underneath in the vent hole will fix a sticky clutch switch.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I am leaning to the battery. Even though you have charged it .......it still could be bad. Mine was.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I guess you use jumper cables and hook up to your car (non-running) and just see if the lights on your bike come on. Give you a good indication if it was your battery or not. good luck

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
c50t won't start

Ahah found the problem. Summergirl nailed it. After reading that post I took the battery out and had it tested at the auto parts store. Dead.
I had charged it over night and had a reading on the multi meter and the charger was in the green but the battery was still dead.
Just glad it didn't happen on the road.
Thanks to all that offered assistance.
(btw, I bought a battery with a years warranty)

·
Registered
431 Posts
Glad to hear it worked out! Mine did die while I was on trip. Luckily it was in my friend's garage at the time so I bought a battery at wal-mart, charged it at autozone over night and all was good the next day. I've had the same battery now for two years, no problems...

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
What year is it?
Check main 30 amp fuse under seat.
Even though you charged the battery, it could still be bad.
The ignition switch on these bikes is known to fail.
If NOTHING comes on with the switch turned on, it is not, the kill switch or kickstand switch, It is either a bad battery, a blown main fuse, or a faulty ignition switch.
So, did you miss my post? If Summergirl nailed it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
This bike has 725 miles on it!
Nothing comes on when I turn the switch on.
Charged the battery all night, checked all the fuses, wiggled wires, checked kick stand and cussed. Nothing!
Bike has been running just fine and I had the initial service at 650 miles ($347.00 worth)
Any suggestions before I call the dealer to come and get it?
I had my ignition switch die at 10,000 miles. It did the same thing. Working fine then left me standing on the side of the road after a rest break. Warning, you need a tamper proof Torx socket and a small ratchet to get it out. Oh yeah, I have a 2006 C50.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts